Support me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Evaluation (Yuuri)

YUURI!!!!” A deep, gruff, and seemingly tired voice booms and I bolt upright. Overslept again, typical. I turn to my left Rolling off the mattress and getting up off the floor. “I'm up” I groan tiredly, standing in an albeit slouched salute. My uncle opens the sliding door to my room and throws a set of clothes at me “get dressed, you have an appointment at 1:00.” He says roughly and walks away, closing the door behind him. The thing with Takayama, is he's a nice fellow when you get to know him, just a bit, rough on the outside. That and I've just got a tendency to oversleep, or randomly fall asleep without warning. What can I say I'm a narcoleptic? I redo my ponytail in the mirror and quickly get dressed then run down the hall for breakfast. When I walk in the rest of my family is already seated and some have started eating. My father sits reading the paper, Takayama's alternating between eating and helping my mother, and some of my cousins who've been visiting sit at a small table eating. I sit down next to them on a pillow. One of my cousins pokes me in the cheek “Yuuri overslept again! Silly Yuuri can't remember his alarm!” He mocks. Great, I've started my morning being mocked over something I can't really control by a four year old. I roll my eyes and stand up taking my bowl with me “I'll be in the garden.” I say as I walk outside, at least there no one will disturb me, hopefully. I check my watch quickly, it's a little after eleven, that gives me some time. Leisurely I walk across the grounds towards the garden, I know a rather peaceful spot on the stone bench under the cherry trees, and that is where I go to. I brush some of the fallen blossoms off of the bench then sit looking around, there is a small stream that runs through this area and you can occasionally see koi fish if you watch closely. Quickly I eat my breakfast which consists of steamed white rice as a base, salmon wrapped in dried seaweed, and mixed vegetables. It's not quite as good as a friend of mines mother's cooking, but it's close. Then again they are also from a different part of Morrowind, Vvardenfell and specifically Sadrith Mora, on Azura's coast. Meanwhile I'm from the mainland, and my family has a home outside the city of Blacklight. After finishing my breakfast and bringing my dishes back I steal away silently through the house en route to my study. Sadly as I creep
quietly through the halls I almost walk into another one of my cousins, an older girl, about seven named Kasai. “Play with me Yuuri!” She flails her teddy bear. I kneel down “I have a big meeting in a few hours so I can't play with you, ask Toki-Kun to play with you, he'll agree, I'm sure of it.” Kasai pouts “No. I don't want to play with Toki I want to play with you.” I bit the inside of my lip “But I have work to do so I can't play right now.” She looks as if she's going to cry. Luckily my mother comes down the hall then “Kasai-Chan let Yuuri by please, he has work to do in his study. I'm sure he'll play with you later though.” She says to Kasai. “Yes Iri-San. Sorry Yuuri.”The girl reluctantly steps to the side and goes down the hall, dragging her teddy bear behind her. I let out a sigh of relief. “Thanks for that.” I say and my mother gives me a pat on the shoulder “you should go.” I nod and we part ways. Eventually I come to the locked oak door with a silver doorknob, withdrawing the key from my pocket I step inside closing the door behind me, glance at the stack of unfinished paperwork then my eyes drift to my desk. A single file is laying square in the middle of the desk with a folded note on it. I unfold the slightly crumpled paper and read it over, it's from Valan, I can tell before I
finish the letter simply due to the handwriting. The letter reads,

Dear Yuuri,

The other night I got calls from both Jordan as well as Steve Lowell. Both are rather worried about Alex's (Jordan's daughter) mental and emotional state. I dropped off her file with your uncle yesterday evening and he said that it would get to you along with this note. Can you meet with Alex and see how she's doing?

Sincerely,
Valan Velothi




So that's why I have a meeting! I sit down open my laptop and read through Alex's file as I make a document, I met with her briefly before and she seemed nice. After a couple of hours and only falling asleep one time there is a knock on my study door. “Yuuri?” A voice asks. I pull a chain under my desk and the door unlocks “It's open!” I yell. Clever little contraption I designed in my teenage years. Runs a string from under the desk through the wall, all the way to the locking mechanism and when pulled it unlocks the door. The door is opened and Takayama steps in “You should leave soon so your not late.” He says pointing to the clock, it's about quarter to twelve. “Your right. I'll get ready now.” He nods and steps out, then stops. “Oh, and your mother made you lunch.” I stop what I'm doing and look at him, intrigued. “Do you know what she made?” He smirks. “Aw cmon tell me. Please uncle pleaseeee…” I give him puppy dog eyes, his one weakness. Takayama sighs “Fine. She made you Katsudon.” A broad grin forms on my face, my favorite dish. “Thank you for telling me.” He laughs slightly and walks away, closing the door behind him. Now where's my coat?

Eventually I find what I was looking for, My laptop and charger, Alex's file, My Pocket copy of common neurological and psychological disorders, and my coat which ended up being down in the basement under a two foot pile of laundry. This is why I don't like it when my cousins visit as all the chores get put on me and I have to make sure none of the rascals run off. Peaking out of my study and looking both ways as to check there are no small children anywhere, I sling my bag over my shoulder and open the door, turn off the lights, slam it behind me and make a run for the kitchen, quickly stop and grab the container with my lunch in it.  Say thank you to my mother then take a shortcut I know to the city through what would have been extra servants quarters. Walking until I'm about halfway between my home and the city I stand in a field, calling the small bit of conjuration Magic I know and a portal opens in front of me, a purple energy swirls letting off small sparks. I brace myself and step through it looking around at my new surroundings. I'm near that school, the one that we went to
a little while ago, about the suicide epidemic. Digging through Alex's file I look for her address then wander through side streets until I find the correct address. People walk through some of the streets and a few stare at me, though if I were them and saw me I'd stare too. I come to a brick house at the corner of a street by a name I didn't see, outside is a forge and other tools of metal working. Along with a man who doesn't seem to notice me. Curious I watch what he's doing, heating a rather badly rusted blade in the fire, hammering it, and sticking it in a water trough. He looks up at me “Can I help you?” He asks putting the blade by his side. “I'm a neuropsychologist, my name is Yuuri Seki-” The smith interrupts me “You're here to help Alex.” I nod “I shall try my best. Are you her father?” The man extends his hand “My name's Jordan.” I shake his hand, “Nice to meet you.” He gives me a slight smile then places the sword back on a table. “Alex is inside, the doors unlocked. I should be done in a few minutes, working on this blasted magic sword for some kid. Turns into a person on command, can you believe that?” He asks. I know what he's talking about, a regalia, rather hard weapons to work with. “So it's a regalia?” I ask looking at the sword, it fits the description of one,
strangely well kept areas, characters that form a name are engraved into the hilt. Huh, it's named Liz. “A friend of mine knows someone with a regalia.” I say to Jordan who looks up. “Does the owner have short blond hair and wear a green cloak? And have a scar on their face, because that's the person who this belongs to. I forget their name, some strange one, elvish or something. Starts with an A.” Jordan shrugs and goes back to his work. I open the door to the house and step inside, peaking my head in each of the rooms. I find Alex in the kitchen watching the news and eating a roll. She looks at me with wide eyes “Who’re you?!” Then she squints and her expression changes “Wait a second, I remember you when you and your friends came to my school.” I nod “Steve and your dad wanted me to meet with you. Just to check in and see how you're doing. May I sit?” Alex clears off one of the chairs and I sit down next to her, she turns off the TV and looks at me. “What's your name again?” I pull out a piece of paper and a pencil and write my name down. “Seki Yuuri.” I say pointing at the paper. “That's how you say it if you're introducing yourself where I live. Here I'm simply, Yuuri.” Alex nods “and what's in your bag?” I pull out the file and my computer. “This for starters, my lunch, and other things of unimportance.” Alex goes to flip through the file but I grab it before she can “That's not for you to look at.” I say kindly but firmly enough to get my point across. “But it's about me!” Alex protests. “Yes but it's protocol, usually patients don't see their files.” Alex crosses her arms and leans against the table “That's stupid.” I nod slightly “I'm inclined to agree with you. Anyways...shall we start?” She sits up in her chair and looks at me “I'm ready.” I open the pre prepared document and my list of questions. “Alright. First I'm going to ask you about what life's like here at home, okay?” She nods, good, at least she's not resisting like others. “Who do you live with?” Alex points towards the front door. “Just my dad. He's a smithy and sometimes he bakes things. My mom left after I was born, so I don't really know her. ” She picks up the half eaten roll as proof. “And is he nice to you? Never touches you or anything?” She shakes her head furiously “No ew!” I shrug “Again I have to ask it's protocol.” I hear a barely noticeable ugh noise. “Alright let's move onto school. First things first, are you in school at the time?” Alex shakes her head “Nope. My dad pulled me out due to the suicide problem. So I'm kinda homeschooled.” Ah homeschooling, sleeping in and still doing homework, I was briefly homeschooled as a teenager due to medical issues. “When you were in school did you like it? What's your favorite and least favorite subjects, or any particular teachers you liked or didn't like?” Alex thinks for a moment “I liked it I guess. I really liked the performing arts department. My favorite teacher is probably a tie between Caitlin and Steve. But I think Caitlin was my favorite, I miss her...a lot.” Alex seems sadder now, I think I've touched on a sensitive topic. “You took singing lessons with her correct?” Her eyes water “Yeah I did. I never want to sing again!” She buries her face in her arms. Hesitantly I reach over and touch her arm. “Do you want to take a break for a couple of minutes Alex?” She sniffles and nods “Thanks Mr. Seki, or Yuuri. Whatever your name is.” Alex goes into the other room and sits in the couch doing nothing in particular. I let her sit quietly for a few minutes and regulate herself while I talk with Jordan outside about my findings so far. Alex seems to have some generalized anxiety, possibly ADD and a diagnosis or mild PTSD due to the encounter with Caitlin. “Okay, I'm ready to resume.” The two of us sit down again. “Now when you said ‘I never want to sing again’ did you really mean that?” She nods “Besides, there isn't any other good voice teachers in the area.” I tap my pencil against the pad of paper mad write it down. In my opinion it would be good for her to sing, perform, might help her move on. “Do you have any friends Alex?” She seems like a friendly girl so I'd guess she does, but a key point in psychology is not to make assumptions. “Yeah I do.” She replies simply. “Tell me about them.” Alex taps her foot against the table leg. “I have a closer group of friends who I know from school and then I'm kind of friends with some of the kids in Steve's orchestra and band. That's about it. Oh and then there's Alice, she's in the hospital though. She has ALL” Valan told me about her, she has cancer. Poor thing. “Now I'm going to ask you some more serious questions. They might make you a bit uncomfortable, just letting you know.” I start a new page of notes and change question documents quickly. “Do you ever feel down, or anxious about things?” I get a nod in reply “Sometimes I'll be anxious before a test, or if I'm baking and when I'm done I think I forget to turn off the stove and freak out. And sometimes when people ask where my mom is or why I'm not in school or lessons anymore I feel kinda sad, and the sadness lasts a while.” The feeling like you forget something, a sign of OCD. Ongoing sadness, can lead to depression. “Do you ever hurt yourself or think about doing so?” Alex shakes her head “No, not really. I know that Alice does though, because sometimes I'd go to her house and she'd be all wrapped up in bandages and occasionally there'd be a knife in the sink. Ms. Caitlin would hurt herself too. It's sad, why do people do that?” It's at least a relief that she hasn't done it. “Sometimes people just feel so terrible that they can't think of anything else to do and they turn to unhealthy coping mechanisms.” She frowns “That's sad.” She whispers, I'm not sure to who. “Do you ever think of killing yourself Alex?” She looks at me with a disgusted expression “No. I don't. Would you think I would?” She asks me. I show her the list of questions “I'm just going down the list and ruling out things, this one is a necessity no matter who you're talking to.” She reluctantly agrees. “Another weird few questions let get this over with. You don't do drugs or alcohol do you?” She shakes her head, okay. “And you're not in a relationship.” Another shake of the head. “Weird questions are over. Yay.” Alex smirks “You're funny.” She says “I hang out with a lot of overly sarcastic dorky people, so it makes sense.” I reply quietly. “Who like Valan?” Alex asks with a wide grin as if she already knows the answer. “Precisely, he's a bit of an asshole sometimes but we love him anyways. He not a sarcastic asshole, he's our sarcastic asshole.” It is true though, Valan as moody and clumsy and sarcastic as he can be is a nice guy in the end. “Last question: Sum up your life in three words.” Alex thinks for quite a while, looking around the room. “Full of surprises.” She says, I had zoned out and wasn't paying attention. “What?” I look at her, my attention coming back to me. “You asked me to summarize my life in three words: Full of Surprises.That's how I describe it.” I write it down. “Then we are done with this. I'll go talk with your father now for a bit, you are free to do as you wish.” I begin placing things in my bag except for my pad of notes which I keep out. I stand and shake Alex's hand “It was nice meeting you.” She says “And you as well, Who knows maybe our paths will cross again. If you're ever in Morrowind, look me up. I'm usually with Valan and Sam.” She nods “I'll keep that in mind.” And runs off. I then walk out to where Jordan is sitting out in front of the house, taking a break from working on that sword I'd guess. I cough to get his attention. “I finished meeting with Alex.” I say and he looks up at me “any findings?” I show him the pad of paper, “Alex seems to show manifestation of mild generalized anxiety, slight obsessive compulsive tendencies though not enough to diagnose, mild PTSD which was expected, Attention Deficit Disorder though mild she still may be eligible for special education. And signs of depression. I would recommend setting her up with a psychologist or psychiatrist to meet with twice a week for the next couple of months or so just to monitor her mental health. I also included my email and phone number as well as a referral for psych services and an IEP evaluation when she's back in school.” Jordan reads over the form. “Thank you for helping my daughter Mr. Seki, I appreciate it. Do you recommend any people in the area?” I think for a moment. “From what a friend of mine has said the outpatient pediatric psych unit at the local hospital isn't too bad, could it be improved, yes. But I feel it's the best you'll find in the area.” Jordan nods and makes a note of that, shakes my hand and bids me good day. Wandering through the streets once more I try to find that portal, which I eventually do.

Being in minecraft for a while is nice but after too long it gets a bit discombobulating. I'd much rather be back here in Morrowind, a place covered mostly by ash, but still...its home. I stroll down the hill where the portal “dropped me” for lack of better wording and walk to the city below. Finally I can actually eat my lunch! I sit on a wooden bench by the harbor, tearing open the box containing my food I look over the contents. A pair of chopsticks, Katsudon, and a small thermos of onion soup. I go to take a bite but am interrupted by someone vaulting over the bench, falling on the ground and then not-so-smoothly sitting next to me. “How's it going?” I glare up at the person silently “VALAN VELOTHI IF YOU MADE ME SPILL MY LUNCH I'D HAVE YOUR HEAD!!!!” I yell at him and shaking him at the same time, take a breath and then regain my composure. “Your mom made Katsudon didn't she.” He asks, the smirk rather evident in his tone of voice. “You could tell by the reaction couldn't you?” I say with my mouth full. “You have a tendency to be very possessive of your pork cutlet bowl, why else would I call you Katsudon...other than the fact your name is Yuuri.” We both laugh at the reference then Valan sighs. “How'd your evaluation of Alex go?” I shrug “Same old same old for the most part, except for you know the suicide stuff and all. And is Jordan by any chance repairing Ali's sword? I saw him working on a regalia earlier.” Valan nods “They said that Liz was badly dented and rusted in some areas and needed to be fixed. Eorlund GreyMane has enough to deal with due to the companions and there isn't very many blacksmiths in thedas who would serve them. So they asked Jordan.” Seems legit. I explain the details of the evaluation to Valan as the two of us wander through the city and back to my families house. “You want to come in? My mom made Tea and my dad's busy, we won't disturb anyone.” He hesitated but agrees in the end. The thing with Valan is he's rather apprehensive when you invite him to places with, well, how to phrase this… Complete families, mother, father, child, ext. Triggers some bad memories I guess. Though in that way I think he sympathizes with Alex in some way. I just hope that Alex don't follow the same steady descent of complications the way Valan did when he was a teenager. As that wouldn't be good for anyone.

Here you go Ender Chan

Until next time,
Max

11 comments:

  1. Perceptiveness is a double-edged sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get somewhat what your saying but please explain.

      Delete
    2. Alex's perceptiveness is a benefit to her in a number of situations, but it ended up hurting her in this one.

      Delete
    3. How so? How does it end up hurting her in this case? (I'm sorry I'm sick and tired, my mind is a bit foggy so I'm confused)

      Delete
    4. Alex picks up on things easily, especially emotions, and the pain she feels from seeing others suffer kept building up layer by layer.

      Delete
    5. Imagine: Phillip and Everan watching Yuri on Ice together with some hot chocolate

      Delete
    6. You have given me something to write now.

      Delete
    7. Give me a prompt! I have writer's block.

      Delete
    8. Do the one I gave you a little while ago where Alarian goes to check on Liz's progress and explains their backstory to Jordan and how they met Liz in the first place. (If you need a summerizes backstory and how they met Liz or anything else message me)

      Delete