Support me on Ko-Fi!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Normal (Alarian)

Random thing I thought of in the middle of the night...And I included three pictures as well, one because I never draw Ali in dresses, and two because I rarely draw Fenris at all.

Zevran gets back next Friday from Antiva, Bethany told me this morning at breakfast. I walk through the house reading the letter he sent me over and over again...until I get bored of that activity. Carver is out and Bethany is with Isabela and Varric down at The Hanged Man, so it's just Fenris, Garret, and me. After deciding I'd rather do something other than wander through the mostly vacant house I go to the library, though I find the door locked. “Anybody in here?” I ask as I wrap my fist on the door. “Come in.” Cautiously I open the door and look to see who's inside, Fenris is sprawled on one of the chairs reading a book. I sit on a chair across from him though he largely ignores me for the moment, too engrossed in his book. “Fenris, am I normal?” I ask after a period of silence, he drops the book and stares at me. “What?” I repeat myself and he moves his legs down from where they were draped over the chair arm so he's sitting upright. “No. Your not normal.” He says placing a bookmark on the page. “Are you normal Fenris?” He shakes his head “Do I look it?” That's a fair point, you don't see many great sword wielding, white haired, lyrium bound elves walking around. “Is Garret? Or Bethany and Carver? What about Isabela?” I ask curiously, leaning my arms on my knees. “No their not. Why do you want to know anyways?” He sighs. “It's just- if their not normal, then who is?” And he smiles “ordinary people with boring lives. Thus making us, not normal at all.” He means people like farmers, shopkeepers, waitresses, doctors to some extent, the kind of plain, uninteresting, everyday people who go about their lives not having to look down every dark alley and wander with no place to go. “I wonder what it's like to be normal sometimes, what do teenagers do?” I ask leaning back and resting my head on one of the pillows. Fenris drums his fingers on the chair arm as he thinks. “Well…” He begins then stops for a moment, “They go to school, spend time with friends, complain about homework and chores, talk to kids their own age, pursue different hobbies, maybe be in a relationship, annoy their parents, be rebellious as their adolescents after all, that kind of thing.” I
look down at my hands, the scarring on my wrists are starting to fade which is a good thing. “I'm not like that at all.” I say with my voice barely above a whisper. “I don't go to school, All of my friends are older than me, My parents are dead and I rarely see my adoptive parents, I don't get homework and I don't know any kids my own age.” Fenris gets up and walks over to where I'm sitting now curled up in a tight ball, and places a blanket around me as I start to sob, lamenting the life I could never have. Fenris kneels and looks up at me “Why are you crying?” He asks oddly sympathetically. “I- I just...I don't know. Life.” I reply wiping a trail of tears and snot on my shirt sleeve. He stands up and sits next to me. “I get how you feel.” And I look at him, “The feeling that life is just so overwhelming that you start thinking, ‘What would life be like if I was a merchant or a farmer or something?’ That kind of feeling, I understand it.” Fenris is an interesting person, highly intelligent and yet didn't learn to read and write until a year or so ago, small yet mighty, and has been through what can only described as Extraordinary Circumstances, and though his written word is still developing, his verbal skills are quite excellent. I rather enjoy talking with him. “Well I'm glad
someone understands what I'm talking about.” I manage a slight laugh. The library door opens them and Hawke enters “Did I interrupt something?” He asks noticing my still red and teary eyes and Fenris next to me. “No, come in Garret. We were just simply discussing the boringness of normalcy.” Hawke walks further into the room until he stands in front of us, then sits down rather suddenly. “You were saying…”


3 comments:

  1. Normal varies from universe to universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is normal for your universe?

      Delete
    2. Learning combat in schools, atheism/agnosticism (but not antitheism), humanistic ethics, and some semblance of anarcho-capitalism

      Delete