Support me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

A harsh realization (Alarian)

This takes place earlier in time (not any way related to the current storyline) around the time between DA2 and Inquisition. Anyways...

Main plot: Cullen says some stuff, Ali overhears, shit happens.

“Mage's can not be our friends.” Cullen says to Hawke and his company, not noticing that I walked up the hill behind him. “You son of a bitch!” I yell at him, he turns around quickly and sees me- with my hands balled into tight fists- “Mage's can not be our friends?! So they everything was a lie? You were never my friend then, it was all a lie.” He stampers “I uh I-I uhh…” he looks between Hawke and me, Garret looks at him coldly and I'm shaking with a mixture of hurt and rage. “Answer the question, Cullen.” He bites his lip “Truthfully, no I was never your friend, or at least never meant to be. My duty was to keep people like you from getting out. You're an abomination. Now run away or go back to crying about something else, you're like a child, always whining about something.” He goes to shoo me away but I grab his wrist “I'm the child? I've been in this world for five thousand years! If anything, you're the Whiny child Cullen Rutherford. And to think, me, an abomination, saved the world from the apocalypse. If it weren't for me, you, and everyone else, would be dead.” I kick him in the shin and step on his foot before walking away. I wander for some time before finding a tree to sit under, I unclasp my cloak and place it on the ground sitting on it to keep from getting dirty. I can see Skyhold in the distance, the stone spires and Pane Windows reflecting the sunlight across the snow. I close my eyes thinking of the events that have just unfolded, why didn't I see this coming?! I should have known, ever since I left the circle after Duncan recruited me we’ve grown apart. And after the fall of The King and the rest of the Wardens at Ostagar and the betrayal of Loghain the Templar Order has been growing more and more powerful, they seem to think they can do whatever they like, they say to the people that Mage's need the circle. We don't, we need safe spaces where we are able to thrive and pursue authorized research. What we don't need are things like The Circle, they might as well call them prisons, that's more what they are. Large towers where your cramped into and never able to leave except for very unusual circumstances. Now I might be biased, as for every story there is two sides, but unlike most times I cannot see how this one will end. All I can feel is the numbness that comes from this harsh realization, I thought I had a friend, but that was just a lie, a facade, I was just stupid enough to fall for it. I hear a crackling sound, like lightning and look up to see Justice in his fade form. “You are troubled Messenger, you feel betrayed, as if an injustice has befallen you. Tell me, what is your plight?” I wipe a silver tear I hadn't noticed until now from my cheek “You know of Cullen Stanton Rutherford?” Justice nods “The Templar and military commander, yes I know of him, Anders ran from him after the incident in the chantry. What of him?”  As yes, I forgot Justice also sees, hears, and feels through his human host, Anders. “We used to be ‘friends’ or so I thought, but it turns out it was all a lie. I don't know where his allegiances are now, is he still on our side, or has the Templar order and the flames of war finally overtaken him? Do you know Justice?” Justice paces back and forth “That is an interesting question Messanger, I cannot answer though, does the Templar have any personal relationships with those you are opposed to your cause or order?” I stare at Skyhold, I know of one person who he's involved with. The inquisitor, Marien Jade Trevallyn. I get up and put on my cloak “Thanks Justice for the idea!” I yell as I run back to Skyhold. He looks at me as I run with a confused look before dissolving back to the fade. I run up the stone steps, narrowly avoiding running into a merchant and their cart filled with fresh fruit and other foods for the kitchens. I slip through the closing doors and then turn down the hallway that leads to the library, I try to skid to a stop but bump into a rolling ladder that Solas is standing on painting a mural of the fade on the upper wall. He falls off the ladder and lands in front of me. I grab his arm and pull him to his feet “Sorry about that Fen'Harel!” I then rummage through the shelves looking for the correct book. Solas puts a hand on my arm as I look to pull another book from the shelves “perhaps if you told me what book you were looking for it would be found quicker rather than tearing apart the library book by book and leaving them strewn about?” I drop the book “probably a good idea?” I shrug. He nods with a sarcastic smirk “What book do you need?” Solas gestures to the shelves. “I need a book on mages and Templars, where the conflict started, and how when mage's are not always terrifying, incompetent, monsters.” Solas blinks “Well then. I think I know of a few books.” He reaches up on one of the higher shelves and gets a stack of books, glances at the covers, and hands them to me “Just give ‘em back. Alright?” I nod and then dash out the door “Thanks Solas!” I yell behind me, and hear him scoff as he goes back to his painting. I run up to my study and open the books, put on my glasses and scan them, writing down useful bits of information. Years of being in the circle has honed my reading ability and comprehension. After about an hour I finished skimming the material and return the books then go find Cullen. I find him in the war table room looking over the map of Ferelden and Orlais. I drop the papers on the table forcefully and he looks at them. “What's that?” He asks pointing a gauntlet covered finger at them. “Around seven and a half pages full of information on the Mage-Templar conflict and how mages actually can be our friends. With citations and I have the books.” He looks over the papers, then rolls his eyes. “Why'd you do that?” He looks at me “You realize Mages are a danger to themselves and others. Maybe if you went to the chantry for once you'd realize that.” I take a breath trying to stay calm. “For the millionth time, I'm Jewish. I don't go to the chantry for a reason.” He sits back in one of the chairs and gives me a look. Ok that's it, “I'm done with this shit I'm leaving.” I go to pick up the stack of papers but he beats me to it. “And what has that got you? Your people are dead Ali, your homeland is destroyed. You and your race are a god forsaken bunch of wanderers. Just accept it already.” He takes the papers and throws them in the fire, the parchment curling on the edges as it incinerates. I look back at him, glaring angrily, and he glares back before grabbing my collar and picking me up so we're eye level. He goes to say something, but before he can I put one foot on the table then shift my body weight and kick him, he lets go and I land on the table. Oh he's mad now, but I've beat him before I can do it again. He goes to grab me but I jump over him and land with a roll. I guess that martial arts training with Zev paid off. He draws his sword and points it at me, and I take my staff off its place on my back. He goes to strike but I activate the staff and a ball of magical energy knocks him back. Using the time I have I run out of the war table room and then out of the castle, I run past Dorian on the way, nearly running into him. I don't stop until I get to Heralds rest, the town below Skyhold. Breathing heavily I crash open the doors to a tavern and go up the stairs, knocking on bulls door. He opens it and I collapse, breathing heavily. “You okay kid?” I shake my head. He drags me over and places me on the bed then yells for Krem. He pokes his head in moments later and quickly rushes in and kneels down by me. “We need to take off their binder they can't breath.” He says to Bull before kindly asking them to step out, which he does closing the door behind him. Krem takes my shirt off part way, then begins to undo the binder. Eventually it comes loose and I let out a gasp now that my breathing isn't constricted. Krem opens the door and let's Bull come back in once I put my shirt back on. “What happened?” He asks as the two sit opposite me. “So, earlier I overheard Cullen talking with Hawke about how ‘mage's cannot be our friends.’ And so I got a bit mad, because we used to be somewhat friends, or so I thought. I went and wrote a seven and a half page report about the Templar-Mage conflict and he just throws it in the fire. Then picks me up by the front collar of my shirt and says some rather derogatory stuff. Then we got in a fight and then I ran all the way here to get away from that son of a bitch.” Krems mouth is wide open as he stares at me, and bull closes it with a hand before Krem realizes what he was doing and clamps his mouth shut. “I'm gonna go have a talk with Curly one of these days I swear.” I laugh, Bull has nicknames for everyone. He tells me to avoid him for a while, but the avoidance doesn't take the sting out of the all too harsh realization.


Until next time,
Max

...I still have to finish the rest of the angst. But don't worry I'm allowing a slight bit of TES fluff inbetween. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It feels usually comfortable but you need to make sure you don't wear it too long or else it can constrict breathing and shouldn't be worn during exercise. And there are different types as well: Tank top, strapless, and crop top. The tank and cropped ones are most common.

      Summery: Binders are mostly comfortable if worn correctly

      Delete
    2. Sneak Peek: "Unfortunately, Caitlin's case not the first suicide we've had that was related to this organization. Here's a list of the names we compiled earlier. I also have their ages, occupations, and some of the last things they said."

      Delete
    3. Sneak peak: We wait stationed on the outskirts of Skyhold as Leliana and Zevran scout ahead under cover of darkness, eventually the two come back about half an hour later. “Okay, here's the plan. Tomorrow the inquisitor will be holding a meeting in the main throne room, so what we do is we wait until the meetings started...and then break down the goddamn doors and barge in.” Zevran says pointing out locations on a map. It's a rather forward plan, but should get the point across, you hurt Alarian, there is repercussions.

      Delete