Support me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Holiday (Anna)

Summary: Issy gets a bit lonely with only a ghost for a consistent companion, Luckily Anna and Valan are ready and more than willing to make the holidays a bit better :)

QOTD: How do you spend the holidays? I usually spend it with friends or my cousins at their house, it’s much less anxiety inducing than spending it at home, and generally more fun.



While the weather in Skyrim might be dreadful most of the year, it does make for a nice holiday atmosphere, I think to myself wandering the streets of Solitude as the snow flurries down. Valan on the other hand seems to disagree, mumbling to himself why he ever came to this gods forsaken country, holiday or not. “Which would you rather have; ash Storm, or snow storm?” I ask, curious to know the honest answer. “Neither. I’d have neither.” He replies pulling his coat closer “Can we go inside?” I hold the door open for him “After you.” 

“Dunmer weren’t made for boats or extreme cold. Ash and magic giant mushrooms are one thing, but this kind of weather is another matter entirely. I don’t understand how the Skaal live so far up north on Solstheim…” he trails off looking around the shop, as best he can in the low light. “Have you gotten the twins presents yet?” He asks examining an object, I nod, and go down the list of who’s left.

 “What about you? Have you done all your shopping?” I ask in reply, he shrugs “For the most part. Sammie is easy to shop for, just get Language books, Yuuri a new set of paintbrushes or something, Kit is fine with just money, and I think the Sero siblings could both due with some time off. Lin I still need to get something for, and Ling I got a new pair of pants.” He turns around with a small dagger “Do you think Issy would like this?” I shrug “I guess so but you’ve known her longer, and have better taste in knives.” He tests it’s weight and feel before deciding. “How much is this?” He asks the shopkeeper. “14 septims, but since it’s the holidays you can pay 10.” Valan rummages through his pockets and eventually finds the 10 coins. 

“Well that’s paid for. Now what to get Lin?” I think for a moment “Well, she’s a former professional ballerina right? Does she still dance?” I question and Valan nods “Well then get her a pair of ballet slippers. You heard Issy ranting the other night about how quickly they can run down.” 

As I finish my sentences the door opens and none other than Isabelle walks in, shaking the snow off of her dark hair and cloak. “Oh hi guys...didn’t expect to see you here.” She says hiding something in one of her cloaks compartments. “We’re trying to figure out what to get Lin. We thought maybe ballet slippers? Though I doubt they sell them here…” I explain and Issy’s eyes light up “Well then never fear Issy is here! I have to get Alex a new pair of pointe shoes anyways, there’s a shop down the street. We can look there.” 

We pay for our goods then follow Issy down to a shop near the gates. “I never knew this existed.” I say to no one in particular as we wander into the small shop. Issy picks out two pairs of shoes “What’s Lin’s shoe size?” She asks Valan as she looks through the boxes “She’s tiny so I’d guess a size 5 or so.” Issy gets two boxes “Alright that was easy. Pointe shoes for Alex, regular slippers for Lin. Both of their sizes were available.” The two of us nod in admiration as Issy goes to pay “That was easy.” Valan whispers to me. Issy comes back tossing Valan the box containing Lin’s slippers “Ok let's go get food now.” Issy says holding the door open for us. 

We get back home to find Farkas and Runa in a rather competitive game of chess, while Sofie sits nearby looking at books with Vigilance, the dog. Issy puts down her packages before going over and looking at the chessboard, and moving a few pieces before walking away “you’re welcome.” She says as she leaves and wanders into the kitchen. Valan sits playing with the dog in the meantime. After critiquing the rather blandness of our pantry at the moment with the current flu season Issy eventually whisks something up for dinner that isn’t entirely terrible, the upside to living in Cyrodil I guess…

The storms gotten worse by evening and is potentially dangerous to go out in. “Why don’t you two just stay the night? Not exactly the best idea to go out right about now…” Issy and Valan look at each other, Valan shrugs and they turn back to me “Alright.” They say in unison. Issy gives vigilance a pet as he sits next to her “Better than spending the holidays alone.” I barely hear her whisper to herself. I feel bad for her sometimes, but this time of year provides little time to dwell on the fact. At least she’s happy with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment