Support me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 10: A Rude Awakening (Lukas)

A/N: Happy Lunar New Year to all who are celebrating! Have some more of poor Lukas having a generally bad time of it.

Prompt: Good Morning! He said at last. We don’t want any adventures here, thank you!

I had thought today would be as normal a day as one can have with all that’s going on, though as I get to the steps of the library it becomes apparent I’m quite wrong. A strange man is standing by the doorway lurking long before the doors open to the public. Cloaked in a long brown almost black leather cloak that is very much not appropriate for the unusually nice weather we’re experiencing I see a pair of glowing red eyes staring at me from beneath the hood. “Good morning.” I say to the man as I cautiously approach the door looking for the correct key as the man still stands unmoving staring at my fumbled attempts to unlock the heavy oak doors. “We don’t open until 9:00 you know, it’s barely six now. You could come back later.” I say to the silent man. Once the door is opened I try to slip inside when I find the rather unnerving man has looked away for a moment and close the door behind me, though my attempt fails. As I am just about to close the door entirely I’m stopped as the man has grabbed the door and is preventing me from closing it. Staring at me with narrowed eyes he hands me a piece of paper. Dropping the rest of my things I scramble to open it with one hand while still trying to close the door with the other. It seems there are strange things happening in Morrowind, and I’ve been requested to assist. Who in the world wants me of all people, a librarian, to assist with peculiar things happening on the other side of the continent?! With a huff of annoyance I put the letter away for now and make as direct eye contact as I’m capable of with the strange man still preventing me from closing the door. “Good morning!” I say after a moment of collecting my thoughts. “We don’t want any adventures here, thank you!” and with that use all my strength to force the door closed, locking it. From a nearby window I see the cloaked figure making their way back down the path and he glares at me one last time. I should write to Naomi, she is a much better fit for such adventures, I just want to be left alone with my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment