Support me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, February 12, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 12: Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Wizards (Valan)

A/N: While the Telvanni quest-line is generally a rather fun one that skirt chore quest is on my list of least favorite quests to do, that said whats a better thing to write about than nearly getting murdered by an angry old wizard over a skirt for today's prompt?

Prompt: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger

When the apprentice of Mistress Therana asked me to go deliver a new skirt that was made for her to her tower I didn’t think much of it, or the warning that came with it. The apprentice hesitated initially when I asked if there were any chores that needed to be done for the Mistress before divulging that a skirt was made for her recently and still needs to be dropped off, and upon my accepting the task asked if I really wanted to, as the Mistress can be…strange, sometimes. I’ve yet to deliver the box that contains the skirt, it remains on my list of many things to do, and currently sits forgotten on the floor as I have tea with Ayron. I tell him about the task and upon hearing about it he nearly chokes before telling me some words of wisdom that Fyr had said to him when he first became his apprentice as a child- do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. How that relates to Mistress Therana I’m still not entirely sure though I’m beginning to think she may have a temper problem based on the multiple warnings I’ve now received from more than one person. Bidding Ayron farewell after tea is finished I decide I might as well go and get this errand out of the way. He tells me that Mistress Therana has not aged well and to not ask too many questions while I’m there, and to set a mark and recall spell to Tel Vos in the case a quick exit is needed. That’s mildly concerning advice. Before leaving I do as Ayron suggests and set a mark and recall spell to the tower before going on my way. By the time I reach Tel Branora, the tower of the old Mistress, night has fallen. A few guards give me directions until I reach the upper levels of the tower and find Mistress Therana in her study, and it seems she has company as a Khajiit man stands in the corner completely undressed. I cough to announce my presence and the old lady turns to see where I stand at the entrance to the room. Surprisingly she does not send the man away nor tell him to cover himself but just asks me who I am and why I’m here. I bow out of respect and introduce myself before informing her that I have the skirt that was made for her. She smiles and talks a bit to me but it is clear, however subtle she is in saying it, that she is not fond of my being in her presence. In a strange turn of events she asks me to put it on. I’ve done stranger things so I comply, though I very quickly realize that was a mistake and that I should have heeded both the apprentices and Ayrons warnings. The old woman shrieks that I’m wearing her skirt having asked me to put it on not two minutes prior and goes to attack me. I’m able to hold off her attacks with one hand while quickly getting the skirt off with the other and kicking it to the corner of the small room before putting into effect the recall part of the mark and recall spell that Ayron had me do before I left Tel Vos. Within a few seconds I’m back at the familiar tower-fortress and after collecting my wits go see Ayron telling him that he was right. Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment