Support me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 20: A Menial Task (Valan)

 A/N: Passive aggressive wizard and even more passive aggressive to outright aggressive older wizard having staring contest over groceries- who will win?!

Prompt: It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.

Chores always prove to be the most boring and yet the most dangerous tasks when it comes to the Telvanni. “Are there any chores that need to be done?” I find myself asking one of the Mouths one rainy afternoon having once again found myself low on money and in need of work. Neloths apprentice who serves as his current Mouth informs me that there are a few chores, in fact, that need doing. Specifically, somebody needs to get Master Neloths groceries, and they are too busy to do it themselves. If I agree to get whatever the grouchy old man needs then there will be at least some kind of reward in store for me. With a sigh of disappointment at the task I agree, I need the money, though I would much rather go harvest muck for some farmer than help Neloth. It isn’t that I even dislike the man all that much, we are at worst indifferent to each other, he just can be incredibly temperamental, even for someone of his age and status. The Mouth hands me the grocery list and gives me a reminder before I leave that it’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish. I suppose that's true, and a note saying that I should really just get this task out of the way as quickly as possible. I thank them for the list and words of advice before exiting the council chambers as quietly as possible so as not to disturb the rest of the meeting. The wind has picked up outside since I had gone in to look for potential work as has the rain and I find myself very thankful that I managed to remember a coat with a hood when leaving this morning. The rain makes visibility difficult, though not as bad as when ashstorms move through other regions of the country, one of the few good things about the isolated coast. With the list in hand I wander the market looking for what is needed- the list in some ways is very standard and in others utterly ridiculous. What does somebody need two bars of sload soap for?! “At least I’m getting paid…” I grumble to myself as I trudge through the mud, groceries in hand. Neloth I hope at least is appreciative of my efforts. By the time I manage to make my way up to his study at the very top of Tel Naga my clothes have more or less dried as has the bag of his requested contents. Unceremoniously I plop the partly torn bag on a side table, drawing the old wizards attention. “I got your stuff.” I tell him, to which he gives me an equally passive aggressive noise before reaching into a coin purse to toss me my reward. “See you next week!” I announce, pocketing the gold and taking my leave, with another noise in response to say the same to me. At least the job is done, and I can afford food the next few days. A  menial task finished is better than one that's never started, the Mouth was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment