Support me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 25: Many Paths To Destiny (Issy)

A/N: Only a few more days left of prompts, wow! And I still need to finish the battle for castle Kvatch on my current playthrough but that will be a problem for another day...

 Prompt: Do not trouble your hearts overmuch with thought of the road tonight. Maybe the paths that you each shall tread are already laid before your feet, though you do not see them.

The soldiers I can tell grow restless as they mill about the makeshift camp outside Kvatch with what remains of the city's residents. The sky remains perpetually dark with strange red clouds swirling overhead between flashes of lightning and the boom of thunder. To think that only a few hours away along with the rest of the country life goes on as normal, with the quiet of night undisturbed. I wander the camp, unable to sleep myself, and find myself conversing with some of the guards who were among the first to respond to the cries in the city. The night watchman had been at ease doing their rotations along the walls when suddenly a large strange gate-like structure opened and what poured forth can only be described as images from a nightmare. The slaughter began immediately and likely continues inside the city, as the gate has yet to be closed. In part that is my fault, as it was I who had been chosen to go into the gate and find a way to close it along with a small group of soldiers. They are wary of the road that leads up to the monstrosity and what lies beyond it, and understandably so. I tell the small group of soldiers not to worry their hearts much for tonight. Who knows what is on the other side of the flaming gate? Besides, maybe they already have paths of destiny laid before their feet, though they remain unaware of them, and those paths may lead them far away from this accursed place, and return them to a more normal world.

No comments:

Post a Comment