Support me on Ko-Fi!

Friday, April 26, 2024

Flowers Bloom Among The Dead (Lukas)

A/N: I've been thinking about the In Flanders Fields power a lot recently for some reason and the flowers and trees and other signs of spring are finally starting to appear which I am very happy about it. Have my sad little not completely dead but soulless guy sitting in a field wondering about life.

Storytelling Collective April Writing Challenge Prompt: Bloom

Being dead and yet alive is a strange experience, to physically be alive, breathing, moving, thinking, and yet without a soul. I contemplate the experience one afternoon, just as the first flowers are beginning to bloom in between the cracks in the stone and in the grassy fields full of wild flowers. Where I had in mind when I set off on my walk I do not know, though now I’ve found myself in an open field that I had frequented as a child, unfortunately now I find it has become a battlefield and since then a cemetery with poppies blooming among the graves of the fallen. While it is a sad sight, it is also somewhat calming in an odd way. Lately I have found myself often sitting and talking to the dead, even though I am unsure if they can truly hear me. I find a spot in the sun near one of the graves after cleaning it briefly, the dead deserve respect and end up sitting next to the grey stone reading the inscription. This man was young, very young, younger than me and by no small amount. He was barely twenty. I sit there silently for a while, just thinking. I think about a variety of things; the war and those involved, what will be done about the threat of Molag Bal and about Mannimarco, what things will look like after the three banners war ends if it ever does and who will be the victor, if I will ever get my soul back, and that even if I don’t I am simply glad to be alive at the moment…even if I am not truly fully alive. After contemplating the world for a bit I voice some of my thoughts to the grave of the dead man about how even though only some days ago we lived and danced, saw the dawn and setting sun, and now we both lay in this field. Two souls among the dead, even while the first flowers of spring bloom amidst the dead of winter, and the world moves on.

No comments:

Post a Comment