Support me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Story Time (Alarian)

We sit around the campfire, the orange and yellow flames crackle and flicker against the dark wall of night, illuminating the group of us but casting a shadow on the rest of the camp. “Who wants to start with stories?” Wynne asks. “I will,” Morrigan replies and we turn our attention to her, she smooths her purple robes and places her staff on the ground. She leans in “Once long ago, there was a group of four men, who worked for the Magisters. Foldin the wise, Thart the seer, Aaron the brave, and Varrin the rouge were the names. They were approached by the head of the imperium, ‘I have a task for you. You four shall bring me an artifact, a tablet of sorts. Inscribed with a powerful rune. My steward shall fill you in with a decree. Be on your way’ and so they left Minrathous. The tablet is guarded by a group of necromancers. Along the road they encounter a group of Darkspawn hunters-” she pauses and stands up, walking around as she continues “A group of free for alls, one was dressed in a guards armor, another with an eyepatch and grizzly expression...rawr!” She snaps and makes a motion impersonating a monster. “The four confronted them ‘who’re you?’ The man with eye patch asks, Varrin gives them a look ‘you first’ he says crossing his arm. Eventually the doughs charisma aggravates the other man and a fight ensures. Aaron and Foldin draw swords, Thart conjures spirit magic and Varrin knocks a bow. The eye patched man grabs a mace and the one dressed as a guard draws two daggers. Aaron cuts one down and Thart disintegrates the other. They then continue on their way to a cave where the tablet is. ‘Ugh I think I stepped on something!’ Foldin says as they walk through the dark cave, the only light coming from some much further in the cave, likely where the necromancers are, and from Tharts staff. ‘Oh shut up and keep walking’ Varrin replies giving him a light shove. The four stop at a ledge overlooking the part of the cave system where the light was coming from. Below stand a group of shadowy figures in dark robes chanting and casting spells. Thart looks at the other members of the company questioningly and then at the tablet and the body in the center of the cave. His companions nod in agreement. Varrin goes and climbs up to a vantage point and the others get into position. ‘Charge!’ Aaron yells and they spring from the darkness. Varrin stays and rains arrows on the necromancers. Once all is said and done the four search for anything useful and then Thart takes the tablet covering it in cloth and stashes it in a bag. The four adventurers return to Minrathous and give the Magister his tablet, he thanks them and gives them their reward. So completed their task. The end.” Morrigan returns to her seat after taking a quick bow. By now it's gotten late and we need to go to Haven tomorrow, so story time is over for the night. “Come on Alarian you and I have night watch.” Alistair says getting up. Maybe story time isn't over after all. If we have night watch, it's going to be a very long night. We set up a torch and sit on two crates looking out into the darkness. After a few minutes of silence Alistair says “This is really boring.” I nod “Wanna continue stories?” He thinks for a moment “Sure. But your probably better at it, since you read a lot and all that, so I'll let you tell the story.” I cross my legs “Alright that's fine. Once upon a time, there was a wanderer, they didn't have a name, and were simply known as ‘The Traveler’. The traveler wandered the lands, looking for work where they could find it, going from town to town, village to village, city to city. They wore a cloak of dark fabric and a large hood that covered their eyes. Always dressed in it the traveler was, nobody knew why. Even in buildings the hood did not come off, and in the hottest weather they still wore it and were wrapped up. People speculated keeping their distance ‘maybe he's a wizard or maybe he's hideous.’ But the traveler was neither of these. They were a Spellsword and an assassin, a ranger he's called. Armed with a bow and sword concealed, they work in service to the king and and to no one else. The traveler walks into an inn and sits down, the barmaid brings him food and he still continues to frown, she leaves him be and gets back to the others, while he takes a parchment and scrawls his next on it his next target. A wealthy merchant has been up to some tricks. Lying, cheating, and beat the bastard prince. The king wants it handled and wants it done swiftly doesn't trust the headsman, hed take to too lightly. And so he summoned the Rangers and have them a decree, appointed the traveler who took it with little glee. But still it is work and the pay is not bad, it is no small feat to get into the Rangers, even if your a witty lad. The Traveler finishes and gets up to go, tossing some coins to the barmaid and leaves, nodding to the people watching the show. They walk through the street, dimly lit and dark. The traveler continues this way until at last he reaches his destination. He picks the lock easily and steps inside, he closes the door not making a noise, then climbs up the stairs and drawing a dagger he opens the bedroom door- inside he goes and stands over the bed. The merchant lays asleep, but then springs up in dread. ‘W-who are you?’ The merchant stutters in fear. ‘I am The Traveler’ the cloaked man replies. The merchants eyes widen and the ranger takes the dagger, the merchant screams and crows fly from the windowsill, and then- there is silence. The traveler wipes his blade and sheaths it walking out into the night. And so his work is done. The end.” Alistair blinks “That was- darker than I expected.” I lean back against the crates and put my hands behind my head “You just asked me to tell a story, you didn't specify the kind of story. I was making it up as I went.” Alistair pats Barky, the dog, who had come over and was sitting at his feet “Well I'll be sure to specify next time, now I'll just have a sleepless night worrying some assassin will try and kill me.” I laugh “I don't think Zevran would do that.” He gives me a look “I wasn't talking about Zevran, and you said to the inquisitor herself ‘if an assassin tries to kill you, recruit him. You may not be able to sleep without a dagger under your pillow for a month but their useful.’ I was talking about I don't know, something from your story, scary assassin guy.” I shrug “It's just a story Alistair, but I get it. Imagination can be a scary thing, especially at night.” He nods. “What time does watch end?” I check the schedule “It ends at 4:30 AM.” I say putting the clipboard down “and what's the time now?” I check my watch “12:49” Alistair puts his face in his hands “It's gonna be a long night.” And then sits up again. After some silence I ask “Hey. Alistair...wanna hear a story?” He clenches his fists “NO! I do not want to hear another maker damned story.” I laugh “I'm just kidding ya.” He frowns at me “Start running-”


Later…


“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!” - Ali being chased by Alistair who was tired of their annoying antics


This was fun to write hehehe

And Ender Chan because you wanted more Japanese music inspired stories this one has music from Kubo!

2 comments: