Support me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, May 13, 2017

An odd request (Valan)

Aimlessly I wander the streets, most shops and restaurants are closed by now. Though that makes sense as it's nearly four AM. And yet here I am walking alone in search of food. Most of my friends are asleep...that is except for possibly a certain two. On that thought I start running towards the eastern quarter of the city, passing by a group of drunk people who are far too intoxicated to function normally. They do not notice me though, but if I were that drunk I don't think I'd have noticed myself either.

I get to the entrance of the eastern quarter and stop to think of a plan. Yuuri is likely over with Takayama at their apartment near the docks. Which means he's probably have a small amount of trouble granted he didn't wake his uncle. Sammie I know is at the apartment we share a few streets away from the tribunal temple. I turn right and go to get her first, then we'll see about Yuuri.
The doors locked when I get there and I quickly unlock it and quietly slip inside, walking silently to Sam's bedroom and tapping her on the shoulder. She rolls over sleepily, flipping a lock of hair away from her eyes. “What do you want, Valan?” She sighs and sits up unenthusiastically. “Wanna go get ice cream with me and maybe Yuuri? I'm hungry.” Sammie stares at me with an expression that I can tell she wasn't expecting that. She goes to say something, pauses, then begins to climb out of bed “Sure just gimme a second. Wait out there.” Well that's one friend persuaded now the task is to just get the other one out of his house. While Sammie gets dressed I down a glass of water and take my meds so I don't forget later, as I tend to do granted I get no reminders. Sammie opens the door and grabs their wallet off the counter. Dressed in a grey tee shirt and dark pants along with a light jacket they come up to me and cross their arms, throwing their head towards the door. “We going?” She asks I open the door and the two of us begin walking over to the docks.

“So what are you doing still awake anyways? I'd thought you'd gone to bed hours ago the house was so quiet.” Sam says as we walk. Usually if at least one of us is up there can be noise easily heard the apartment is so small. “I dunno, couldn't sleep I guess. I mostly have just been wandering around. Finished some jobs though.” I stuff my hands in my pockets, partly because it's a common trait of mine, I like having pockets what can I say? And partly as I'm searching to check if I have my wallet or any money on me at all. “What kind of jobs?” Sammie asks giving me a slightly disapproving look as if I shouldn't go around murdering people and fulfilling thieves guild requests at odd hours of the night. “Oh don't give me that look you do the same thing.” She scoffs and taps me on the shoulder “I'm just messing with ya pal.” She gives me a funny smile. The kind where you actually try to look either creepy or just make the person laugh really hard. Luckily it's the latter in my case. The two of us turn on to the street that the Seki’s live on. Realizing a new problem, they live on the third floor. I sigh and look at the window, trying to gauge if I can climb up to it. Probably can, but you never know until you try to and boy oh boy have I thought I could reach something when I couldn't at all and failed terribly. While staring intently at the rather annoying piece of glass and plastic, I seem to have lost track of Sammie. Oh well, she'll figure things out. I begin to climb up the building, almost like a spider. Actually let's not compare it to a spider. Spiders scare the shit out of me. How about I climb up it like a, like a, what's a cute animal? Ohhh! A goat! Yeah because the goats in Skyrim around winterhold and stuff throw themselves up those mountains like near Azura's shrine! Their weird little horned animals but their interesting alright. I grip the window sill and pull myself up onto the concrete. Laughing to myself about the strange conversations I have in my head. I look through the somewhat transparent curtains, this is Yuuri's bedroom. Would have been awkward have it had been Takayama's. Carefully I pick the lock on the window and open in, leaning into the room. “YUURI!” I whisper and he starts and opens his eyes, looking around then flinching back when he sees me crouching on his window sill. “Wanna come get ice cream with Sam and I?” I ask getting straight to the point. He looks at his clock and back at me. ““Who crawls through someone’s window at 4am to go for ice cream?!” He whispers back with a slightly annoyed tone of voice. “Because I'm hungry and you're my fren.” I reply coming completely into the room now and standing my his bed. Sam quietly opens the bedroom door and drops her hands when she sees me as well “How did you-?” I point to the window. “Parkor Sammie. This is the kinda stuff I've been doing all night.” She nods and turns to Yuuri, still sitting in bed. “So whaddya say? Up for a late night snack?” A grim emerges on his face. “We just need to be quiet going out. My uncles still alseep.” He notes and pushes out of the room so he can get dressed. Yuuri opens the door redoing his ponytail and grabbing his keys off their place on a shelf by the door. Opening the door he gestures to us and the door “Shall we?” We exit and he silently closes the door behind him. The three of us walk down the stairs quietly, not saying a word until we're out of the building. We begin walking towards the city center walking along the water as we do. Ships lay at port, mostly trading ships from the east empire company or places like Daggerfall, along with the odd ship from solitude over in Skyrim. All three cities are built on ports, The Imperial City, Daggerfall, and Solitude. I check my watch quickly, it's five minuets to four. Luckily for us, richardson's, the local ice cream store is open until five AM. Yuuri interrupts my thoughts then, “I'm still slightly annoyed at you for climbing through my window in the middle of the night. You could have at least used the door like any normal breaking and entering case.” I shrug “Windows are more fun.” I explain, he thinks for a moment but eventually agrees with me. The store comes into view now, it's still a bit busy even at this hour. people probably had similar ideas about late night ice cream runs. Some seem to have gotten friends to come along judging by the amount of very tired looking people standing off to the side waiting. I guess I wasn't the only one to have such an odd request. The three of us wait in line and order quickly, taking it to go and sitting on a bench outside. Watching people walk by or for some begin to head to work. I could never commute at this hour, in fact it's hard to get me to commute even at normal hours! “ Where are they going?” Yuuri asks watching a trio of men in suits with brief cases heading towards the train station. “Probably to work.” I explain after swallowing a spoonful of chocolate chip ice cream. He looks at me with a horrified expression. “They do that every day?” He whispers and I nod. “Commuter trains run at Four, Eight, and Noon. If you work in the city and need to be there at nine but it takes an hour and a half to two then you've got to get up very early. But normally they'd go home earlier.” I close his mouth to keep him from drooling but he continues to stare at me blankly. “Some people have work at different hours Yuuri. It's not that hard to understand.” Sammie interjects and Yuuri sighs and scratches his head. “I guess. Just must be hard having to get up that early.” Eh, I guess you must get used to it at some point. Like if you work the night shift at a hospital, you sleep during the day and work at night, sleep schedules are fluid and fluctuate easily. The three of us finish eating and throw away the empty bowls before going our separate ways. Sammie and I bid Yuuri good night, or good morning I guess as he walks back towards the harbor while the two of us take a shortcut back home. Sammie goes right to bed but I stay up and take a shower quickly. I'm glad I have friends like those two, not only because they're nice people, but because they will agree to even the oddest requests. I should sleep late in the morning, and hopefully I can granted Neloth has nothing for me to do. I fall face first into my bed and kick the covers up over me, passing out within minutes.


Bonus: The next day-

“Valan Velothi wake up!” I feel a prodding sensation in my ribs and force my eyes open, rolling over onto my back. I look up to see a grumpy looking man dressed in intricate robes holding a varnished, staff looking stick. Master Neloth, of course. “What do you want Neloth?” I ask sleepily sitting up against the headrest. “What do I want?” He asks incredulously, “What. Do. I. Want?” He repeats again. “I want you to get up. It's past one!!” He shouts. I cover my ears and pull my blanket up over my knees. “I'm guessing Sammie didn't tell you I was up until about five in the morning?” I shout back and he goes to yell, but stops. “Oh...no she did not. In that case you can sleep until two but no later than that. Do you understand?” I nod “Yes sir. See you then.” I say turning into my side as he leaves the darkened room, closing the door behind him as I fall back into a light sleep. Might as well make the most of another hour.

6 comments:

  1. Oversleeping makes things awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. But also being a sleepwalking coffe dependent zombie for the whole day makes things awkward too.

      Delete
    2. I finished a super long fic. You'll love it.

      (Writing it from your OCs' perspectives would be cool.)

      Delete