Support me on Ko-Fi!

Friday, January 18, 2019

Lock and Key (Kit)

The formal introduction and partial backstory of the one and only Carter “Kit” O’neil!

“So how’d you end up in Morrowind anyways?” Valan asks passively, not looking up from his book. “What?” He looks at me with hazed red eyes. The most interesting thing I've noticed in my time in Morrowind is the Dunmer, though for the most part having the same eye colour, have incredibly expressive eyes. Valan’s reflect a curiosity and defiance though appear to have a hazy film over them, Samantha's in contrast are a clear bright red and while they can seem warm and welcoming at times, at others they make her seem as cold and distant from the world as the castle she grew up in. Yuuri’s eyes are full of life but can be serious, and Takayama’s always seem a bit sad, though it's understandable. “I told you my past, how I ended up here. Now I'm asking about yours.” Valan replies. I sit up, having passed out earlier. “Fine, I'll tell you but it's a long complicated story.” Valan shoots me a look “Well at least for me it's a long and complicated story. But you deal with Sammies longer more complicated stories so it should be easy for you. And you're just listening.” I sit next to him and take a breathe. “It all started with a lock and a key...or really a lack of a key.” Valan puts the book down and leans toward me, intrigued. “Continue.”

FLASHBACK TO A YOUNGER KIT

The streets of Daggerfall can be a twisting maze of stone and brick with dead ends and alleys, and always with opportunities ripe for the taking. Having grown up near Daggerfall I knew my way around rather well, connections to thieves in the area only helped with that. “Morning, Carter.” A hooded man says with a sneer “Got any jobs to do? Or have you been sleeping again?” I quickly show him a slip of paper, marked with the symbol of the thieves guild, a rhombus with a circle in the middle and he nods. “The house is two streets over on the left side. Fifth one down. You'll know it when you see it. But be careful, this is no easy job. The house is locked up tight.” I take his words into consideration, stop by the guilds fence a block over disguised as a baker selling bread and pick up a few extra lockpicks. I overhear a mention of the same house I'm supposed to rob as I wander through the market, picking up the occasional pick pocketed item as I go. The speaker is a tall imperial woman, finely dressed, and with an unmistakable attitude. Your typical snobbish noble lady. I notice a glimmer of gold peeking out of her pocket, a key of sorts. Maybe it's the key to the house? Walking by I pretend to drop something leaning over and grab the key on my way up, she doesn't notice it's gone. Making my way over to the house I find, sadly it's not a key to an outside door, I'll have to pick it. With a sigh I walk around the perimeter finally settling on the back entrance and pick my way in. Now, to find what I was looking for. Searching the house from top to bottom I find the safe in the master bedroom, so that's what the key went to. Making my way to leave I turn towards the bedroom door-

-And walk right into the woman.

“Oh, hello.” I say with a nervous laugh before bolting for the door. I manage to get to the city gates, nearly toppling a ginger haired man and his brunette companion who seemed to be arguing over a journalism controversy. “So sorry.” I apologize quickly to the two and the brunette woman gives me a kind smile before noticing a black haired women walking down the street. She looks rather intimidating with her hands stuffed in her pockets but lightens up when she notices the other two. Turning my attention from the three people I quickly I try to get out of the city and get a few paces before being surrounded by guards. With a sigh I agree to go quietly, I’ve never been the best fighter.

Having agreed to arrest I spend three days in jail, though Daggerfall has a surprisingly nice one. The bed is soft and in good condition, the food is excellent, something I never expected to say about prison food. And the guards treated me fairly well. On the day of my release I quickly grab the small bag of stolen items, hiding it in a satchel as I leave. “We’re sorry to see you go, Kit. Come back and visit?” One of the guards jokes. I give him a grin and a nod “Well of course!” We shake hands, having been arrested in Daggerfall before the guards by now know it'll happen again. Instead of antagonizing me, they simply go with it. I haven't murdered anybody or anything, just mostly organized burglary or the occasional extortion.

Going home I find a letter on a table addressed for me, huh. It's from the guild in Skyrim. Opening it I find it's from one of the guild heads, I’ve been reassigned. The guild as a whole needs someone to work for the branch in Skyrim, but stationed in Morrowind. “Interesting.” I murmur and place the letter back on the desk. Going over to the wardrobe I begin to rifle through clothing “I wonder what the weather's like in Morrowind.” Reading over the letter again I find out I'll be stationed in both Vvardenfell and the mainland, operating out of Blacklight and Vivec. Taking a few days to pack my things I set off for Skyrim.

“As you must be the new lad.” A man says happily when I walk into the Riften guild. “What's your name?” He asks urging me to sit down with a man who I assume to be the one who contacted me. “Carter O’Neil. But you can call me Kit. It's my middle name.” They nod “Kit it is then.” They walk me through the details of the assignment, introduce me to the fence and the head of the guild. He's not a very nice fellow. Odd and rather mean. “Go to Windhelm, there’ll be a boat waiting for you.” The second man explains and gives me a few things for the journey. “And if the Dunmer are hostile to you at firsts just know they're like that to everyone. It's a cultural thing! Bad time of it with the Imperials will do that to you!” He calls after me as I leave, following the tunnels through The Ratway.

 I turn north toward Windhelm. Why must it be so cold in this country?! It snows for the better part of the two day journey but finally The City of Kings appears over a ridge, it looks as cold and grim as I've heard. “Bloody Lovely.” I mutter to myself clutching my coat closer to me and begun to trudge through the snow down toward the city, passing a large statue of Talos on my way. Then retract as I notice some items of value at the shrine “But Carter! that's sacrilegious!!” I laugh mimicking my mother, she’d be furious if she knew about this. “So just don't tell her at dinner next time you idiot.” I sigh to myself and continue walking.

Staying over at the Inn for a night I go to the docks at first light. Wandering through the Dunmer ghetto, The Grey Quarter, first to get some information. Most are immigrants, by now wishing they were back in their homeland than stuck in this dreary place, even with the ash and tribunal. Many of them mention The Morag Tong, an assassins guild and the only legal one in Tamriel, though only in Morrowind. They also mention someone called the Nerevarine, of whom I’ve heard of before but never knew exactly who or what they were. “Look for a red haired fellow. Around your height a little taller. And he's legally blind. His names Valan Velothi.” The bartender at the cornerclub explains. Why would a hero be legally blind? How would an assassin be legally blind?! “What was Azura thinking?!” I ask surprised though I file away the information to look up later. “By Azura who knows. He's usually with a girl named Samantha Arryn, she's a former princess, terrible family or something, she eventually escaped somehow. The castles up in the mountains so it's a bit hard to get in or out of. Sammie keeps him in line for the most part...or she joins in his antics. They're both in Vvardenfell mostly, and another friend of theirs is from the mainland. Seki Yuuri, or to you, Yuuri Seki. Even just by the name gives you a little idea, they're a bit different. He’s a bit different from the other two in terms of certain cultural aspects. I think you'll like him.” The bartender explains as he cleans glasses. “And if the Nerevarine tries to get you involved with any Telvanni mages, don't volunteer for any experiments unless you have a wish for injury, death, or...uncertain complications.” He explains the Great Houses and the complex system of honorifics, as well as basic alphabetical characters and phrases.  I take a sip of my drink and nod before paying “Well thanks for ‘Morrowind: people and culture 101’ I appreciate it. If you ever want ‘High Rock: the two parts of the country hate each other and we have good food 101’ just look me up.” The bartender chuckles “You sure you can't stay longer? You're awfully fun to have around. With the sarcasm and illegal activities you'll fit in quite well. And remember to look up the Morag Tong they're a valuable asset!” I bid the man goodbye and he waves as I leave before going back to cleaning. Finding the boat on the docks I set off to Morrowind.

Landing in Morrowind I begin to learn my way around. Many people are hostile at first as expected but others are kind. One day when not looking I walk into someone, stepping back I realize it's the same people the bartender mentioned. A blind red haired man and a black haired woman.

 “Welcome to Morrowind...Outlander.”

BACK TO PRESENT

“Aaand so then met you two then I met Yuuri and now I'm here.” I finish explaining and Valan begins to clap, either sarcastically or genuinely I'm not sure. “Very nice story. Though I still think I win for most interesting one.” He grins. “Well I'm not the one who hears Azura and other daedric princes in his head at random times.” I argue back and he sits back in his chair with a grin “Exactly.” He says crossing his arms.

...Oh you smug bastard.

THE END!




No comments:

Post a Comment