Support me on Ko-Fi!

Friday, February 16, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 16: The Road Goes Ever On And On (Valan)

A/N: After an interesting and not very fun few days I've finally been released from the hospital after winding up there with a particularly bad cold. With 3 weeks of steroids ahead hopefully I will be able to keep up with prompts and perhaps finish some old things in the backlog as well. High dose steroids due tend to mess with my sleep which often leads to writing in the small hours of the morning.

 Prompt: Go back?' he thought. 'No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!

You would think that master wizards capable of building intricate towers and entire towns out of mushroom cuttings and magic would be a bit more logical when it engineering and when it comes to the internal structures of the towers. I had finally made it far enough to be awarded a plot of land to create a tower of my own, not far from Tel Fyr at the site of an old grave, as that was the only plot available. First however I must meet with the old woman in the Telvanni Hermitage, far below the council hall on Sadrith Mora. The way is dark and perilous, even if one had perfect sight. There are no railings to protect one from falling off the thin winding paths that go through the cavern to her little hut. I could go back, I find myself thinking as I carefully tap my cane to figure out where it is I’m supposed to go. Go back? I then find myself second guessing, no that’s not good at all! I can’t sleep on Neloths floor forever, nor can I make my way back to Vivec City every night, and I doubt Ayron would let me store much at his tower. Could I go sideways and levitate down to the woman? Impossible, I wouldn’t have enough time to get from my current position and would end up falling into the cavern below, probably falling to my death, or at least seriously injuring myself. Going forward I suppose is the only thing to do then. With a deep breath to calm myself and summoning a candle light spell for a bit more visibility in the darkness I continue forward, rhythmically tapping my cane to guide my way- on we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment