Support me on Ko-Fi!

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 22: Beyond The Starless Void (Naomi)

 A/N: Flash Fic Feb has been very good for Lukas and Naomi character development which has also been quite enjoyable. This prompt was a bit of a toss up for who it could get but I am glad I decided to go with my gut feeling, this is perhaps one of my new favorite prompts. I also can't believe we are almost done with the month!

 Prompt: Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids.

Sometimes I get asked questions about what it was that truly happened to Lukas, as he is reluctant to answer the question himself, and truthfully I don’t blame him. How is one supposed to explain the moments that led up to their ritualistic murder and then their sudden return to the world of the living? A little cousin one day pipes up with the question, having spent perhaps too long observing Lukas from afar out of curiosity, though as always Lukas seems rather unaware of the whole thing- too caught up sorting a pile of old papers that my father had given him to pass time, as he knows that sort of activity is calming to him. Turning to the toddler who has refused to leave my side and continues pestering me about what she calls ‘the strange quiet man’ despite very much knowing who Lukas is I sigh and crouch down to her. Time for a bit of creative thinking to hopefully sate her little mind for the moment. Since we live so close to the water I use a ship to paint a mental picture. “Lukas went away one day, with a strange and magical man, and eventually he ended up on a ship. Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids. What he saw there even I do not know, for that you will have to ask yourself. After such a long journey it was time to come home, and so seemingly for an age he sailed across the stars, between the moons and things lost to time. Now he’s back, even if he is a bit different- though I’m sure you can understand how such a journey might change you?” When finished with the story the little girl stares at me with her large brown eyes and nods speechlessly in understanding. I don’t think she fully understands the story, though I doubt anybody other than Lukas himself could, after all it was only him that took that journey into the starless void, beyond the stars and time itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment