Support me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, February 24, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 23: To Walk In Darkness (Farkas)

A/N: Yes I did find myself randomly realizing there has been a lack of Farkas content this month so have two of my favorite supernatural faction members with oddly charming personalities talking about fear of the dark, spiders, and death itself. It's been a very long day and an even longer week, so a short one today but I hope it is enjoyed.

 Prompt: Let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall

The dark of night seems to be a double-edged sword in the minds of the psyche. Anna, for example, is as scared of being alone in the dark as I am when faced with a spider. I on the other hand have no real problem with the darkness, though the ability to see unusually well in it may have an effect. The only real person, if one can call him that at this point, that I know of who seems to simultaneously be both comfortable and uncomfortable in the dark is Lucien. For someone who has not been alive for well over two hundred years, and when alive spent a significant chunk of his life in the darkness, he seems to be oddly fearful of it at times. Late one night the two of us find ourselves bored and unable, or unwilling, to sleep, and as a result pass the time talking. Anna sleeps peacefully nearby, while Issy had gone off to some secret meeting in whereabouts unknown. I try to bring up his uneasiness with the dark and when confronted about it get only a cryptic reply from the usually lighter-hearted spectre; “let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.” what he means I’m not entirely sure- words have never been my strongest skill, only that the words put a strange chill deep in my bones. While being a lycanthrope may give one their own unique experiences with the night, it cannot be compared to one who has walked through the darkness of death and beyond to the void itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment