Support me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Emotionally vulnerable (Valan)

I finally finished the crossover Ender Kun, and put a slight twist on it if it's okay.

“Sam! Where'd you go damn it?!” I groan and stand up, dusting myself off after taking what for me is a rather routine tumble down a staircase. I hear clatter and the sound of boots going down the stairs, “Sorry ‘bout that. Had to pick up a package for Talvas.” Sam waves the brown paper package wrapped in twine ribbon and a tag that's addressed to Master Neloth's steward at Tel Mithryn, Talvas. I nod “Yes of course because Neloth's bi-monthly shipment of canis root tea is more important than me falling down the stairs.” Sammie shrugs on her coat “depends who you ask. Come on let's go, need to bring this down to the docks.” We walk down to the docks, just past the financial district in Vivec. There's a large ship docked at port, I can see the crew going about their jobs, and the captain, or at least I assume he's the captain, is overseeing them. “Excuse me?” Sammie yells, “Are you the captain of the- uhhh- Breakonshire?” The man in the red coat and 3 point hat turns around “Aye that I am lad, what do ye need?” Sam blinks “uh uhh uhhh…” I nudge them and they regain their composure “Oh um we’re looking to get this package to Master Neloth, a Telvanni wizard at Tel Mithryn.” The captain nods “ayy, I can do that. We just need to stop in Blacklight on the way. That'll be 5 drakes for the-” he stops as a girl who looks to be around 11 runs up panting. She stops and then nearly falls over, Sammie catches her before she hits the ground. I toss the captain some coins and the package “thanks. But we gotta go.” I say as Sammie picks up the girl and we start walking towards the hospital. We walk into the ER and wipe some of the soot off the girl's face, she becomes more recognizable now, it's Alice. The nurse calls us in and starts running an IV, we roll up her sleeves and see the lines of cuts that were starting to scar. We look at the nurse “I'll call a psych.” She exits the room. We sit down in the chairs and let Alice sleep “I knew her home life was bad and she was at least a bit depressed but I wouldn't expect- that.” I nod, what would make her do that? What's going on in that brain of hers? I wonder, especially at a time like this, where everyone is vulnerable, both physically, and emotionally. The psychologist knocks and comes in, we exit the room and then go up to the sixth floor to the neurology and psychology floor and find my psychologist “what seems to be the matter my friend?” He sits in a chair across from us holding a pad of paper “Are you aware that a child by the name Alice was brought in?” He nods “one of my coworkers is meeting with her currently. Do you know this girl?” Sammie interjects “she's a student of some friends of ours.” Steve and Caitlin, I wonder if they know about what she's feeling. They must. “She was cutting, her mother is abusive. It's a tragedy. Why does it have to be like this?” Dr. Efran writes some things in his notebook “What if I make you a deal. Would you like me to talk with Alice's mother, or at least try?” I don't see why that would work though, I've met the lady and she ain't nice. “You can try, but I wouldn't if I were you. And if you did Alice would likely face the repercussions from her mother. And she's already so vulnerable.” We make a deal, Dr. Efran decides against meeting with Her mother for Alice's sake. We say goodnight to him and head back downstairs, Sam goes home to get some paperwork and dinner, I stay at the hospital sitting in the dimly lit hospital room. the nurse comes in to change the fluids in Alice's IV “she talked with someone from pediatric psych, she's getting help. Don't worry Mr. Velothi, Alice will be going home soon.” I smile slightly “Thank you.” I look at Alice's form, she's so vulnerable, emotionally vulnerable, but less so physically. How did she survive the Ashlands now that I think of it. “Please get better, please get better, please get better.” I whisper to myself. Ughhhhhhhh I put my face in my hands as the darkness surrounds me, just as it surrounds everyone at some point.


Until next time,
Max

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to write a follow up to this, but Blogger ate it. D:<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that sucks friend. I use google docs, and you could try in your drafts. Or maybe you'll have a new idea and can write a follow up differently! Or try to remember the old one too if you want.

      Delete
    2. I just wrote a new one. Sneak peek:

      Instead of flipping out and being snarky as is commonly suggested, I said that my neurologist wanted to study my brain and use the information to benefit me.

      Delete
    3. Interesting, I can't wait to read it!

      Here's a peak of one I'm going to publish later, from Fenris's perspective


      “What are they doing?” Garret and Cullen ask me as the veiled dancers go about their routine twirling about in the square. I had expected they wouldn't know, “It's an ancient tevene custom, carried on by the elvish community. It is the dance of veils. There's Alarian,” I point to the smallest one, the little blonde elf in the grey and dark green robes holding the scarves which they make intricate motions out of.

      Delete