Support me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Teething Years (Everan)

 Wisdom teeth hurt >:(


Spending the day with a crying chemist in my arms while sifting through old papers on the poorly handled apocalypse that was the oblivion crisis isn't what I was expecting to do when I woke up, and yet here we are. Throughout its history Tamriel has had its share of apocalyptic type events, but within my lifetime the most notable one has been the oblivion crisis when hell quite literally broke loose. As for why I’ve spent the day thus far reading up on it again, it was simply the closest stack of books and papers to where I’ve ended up. If I had the option I’d chose to read something else but for the past three hours I’ve been unable to get up as a certain mage sits in my lap in nearly inconsolable pain…I never thought wisdom teeth would hurt that much. Unfortunately poor Phillip has certainly had a time of it recently, teething years all over again with no time quite yet to get things fixed. At first, it wasn’t so bad, a bit of discomfort or sensitivity every so often, but once things started to push the situation took a turn for the worse. He ended up staying the night last night as it became quite late by the time he was ready to go home, and while he slept fairly peacefully through the night, as soon as the sun came up it’s been an entirely different story. I for one apparently do not have wisdom teeth entirely, a rather rare phenomena, but one that exists nonetheless. Having gotten up earlier I’d already eaten and sat at the table near the window to begin my work for the day when Phillip still looking groggy came into the main room of the little apartment, and instead of going for a cup of coffee per usual, simply climbed into my lap instead, banged his head against my shoulder a few times while complaining before bursting into tears and has refused to get up ever since. I don’t mind particularly, though I am beginning to get a bit bored with my reading selection. Hearing the crying stop I shift slightly and realize Phillip has cried his poor little science loving heart out and fallen asleep from exhaustion. Sleep is a reprieve from pain, and as a result is always welcome when not feeling well. With some careful manifesting I’m able to pick him up and carry him back into the other room, placing him down on the bed and tucking him in before letting him sleep. I guess it was a good thing he never ended up getting dressed, if I hadn’t myself I may have crawled in next to him and taken a nap myself, oh well, there’s always next time. Hopefully there isn’t a next time, though, the pain of teething years in childhood was more than enough.

4 comments:

  1. That manifesting power!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking some things up and found the fact that not all people have wisdom teeth and upon finding that out went "Okay, only Phillip gets to suffer" and moved on. The prompt for this one was apocalypse hence the couple of references but wisdom teeth coming in, not unlike toddlers teething, is a mini apocalypse all its own haha

      I'm pretty sure my brother may have accidentally bit my mom while he was teething actually...fun times...not

      Delete
    2. What a terrific prompt - APOCALYPSE!

      Really not fun times - especially for your mother.

      I liked the way you made Phillip suffer in that way.

      I thought I would be one of those people without wisdom teeth until 2002. Three of them are relatively inept; one of them is relatively intact [the right bottom 3rd molar].

      Wisdom teeth = 3rd molars, right?

      Delete
    3. It was a very opened ended prompt and so this was what ended up happening.

      Oh yes, not fun times at all.

      The thought came out of the fact that Ev has suffered enough, no more suffering for him, it's Phillips turn...but I also can't subject Phillip to major trauma in a short fic so he gets to whine about being in pain instead.

      When I last visited the dentist they were thinking my wisdom teeth wouldn't be a problem, but while I was home over spring break one of my teeth started to be a pain and upon taking a panoramic x-ray it was found they've begun to push, one of them (top left) has begun to sort of break through even so once the semester is done I'll need to get them removed. That is, after I have surgery to remove some cervical lymph nodes that are likely related to the current ongoing health problems I've had for months. It will be a busy month of May and probably very busy summer!

      Wisdom teeth are 3rd molars that's correct. The final set of teeth to erupt.

      Delete