Support me on Ko-Fi!

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

The Internal Thoughts Of Dennis (Lucien)

May/June Mini Fic Prompt:  The internal thoughts of Dennis the dark guardian


“Dennis, what are your predictions for today's weather?” I ask the dark guardian who stands lurking on the other side of the metal gate while getting ready for the day. The undead rattling group of bones and armor makes a noise. “Rain? That’s fair, it’s been raining most of the week.” Personally I think it will just be cloudy, usually when it rains you can hear it hitting the stone, unless it’s only a light rain. I’m not entirely sure where Dennis came from, he, like the rest of the dark guardians that haunt the rest of Fort Farragut, have been here since I converted this little section into a living space. To keep them out, and because I have no need for the remainder of the ruined fortress, it’s walled off with a metal gate. The gate is simple and just a set of steel rods strategically placed and connected to a button that allows them to collapse into the floor when needed, but it works. The open areas make it easy to spot when Dennis or another of the skeletal guardians of the fortress wander over, and at times good target practice if they decide to be particularly aggressive every now and then. “Any plans for today or are you just going to stand there and stare at me?” Dennis makes another noise, though this one is more agitated. Sometimes I wonder what he thinks about, if he thinks at all. The internal thoughts of Dennis, if they exist, must be either fascinating, or incredibly boring. He lacks a brain in his current state, only being a bunch of bones with a chestplate and a sword, and yet he seems capable of understanding. When I ask him questions he responds by making various noises, usually slightly aggravated ones…I don’t think he particularly likes not being able to wander around my little area of the fortress. As I stand around eating breakfast the undead skeleton watches me and continues to put up with my questions. I don’t remember when I started talking to him specifically, or how I came up with the name Dennis, only that I’ve talked to him most mornings while I wake up or on nights where I find myself unable to sleep. “Do you like being called Dennis?” I ask the skeletal creature as I take a bite of my admittedly badly burned toast, and surprisingly get a sound of indifference to something almost positive. “That’s good. I don’t know what else I’d call you, so at least you’re okay with it.” With the toast finished as much as it could be, I wander around trying to find something to keep Dennis entertained before I head out for the day, otherwise he’ll just stand there. Eventually I find a discarded piece of metal that must have been from some armor Issy was repairing and no longer needed. I throw the piece of metal through the gate and down the hall as far as I can, and predictably Dennis begins to slowly move in its direction. Who gets it first, Dennis, or the other Dark Guardians, remains to be seen. I’m sure they can always fight over who gets it if needed. They seem to have some manner of communication between them, which furthers my idea that they have some capability of thoughts, or at least understanding. Unfortunately I can’t understand whatever that form of communication is beyond the grunting, growling, and other noises. The internal thoughts of Dennis, whatever they may be, must be fascinating. I wonder how he feels about having me as a roommate? “I’m leaving for the day, don’t tear the place down while I’m gone!” I call to the creature in the hallway before climbing the ladder up to the surface and find it is, in fact, raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment