Support me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Flash Fiction 2024 Day 11: A Box Without Hinges, Key, or Lid (Fyr)

A/N: Dwemer artifacts and ruins may be the bane of my existence but they are also fascinating and I wish we knew more about them

 Prompt: A box without hinges, key, or lid- yet golden treasure inside is hid

From the moment he set foot into the study Ayron has had a fascination with the Dwemer artifacts that are scattered about. Some sit on shelves, others have a place on the table that ended up being accidentally permanent, and more hang on the walls. In particular he seems to enjoy the ones that showcase the engineering capabilities of the long forgotten Dwarves. “What’s that?” the little boy asks me one day, pointing to a box covered in intricate details sitting high on one of the shelves near a similar kind of box- though unlike its counterpart this smaller one is not a puzzle box, but a small jewelry box that still contains some of its original contents. “It’s a box.” I tell him and in reply get a silent judgemental look as if to say without words he is already very much aware of that fact. “What kind of box?” I’m asked and after a short pause Ayron follows with “and don’t say it’s a dwarven one, I already know that.” For a nine year old he can be surprisingly feisty. “I’ll show you what it is, if you can solve this riddle.” At the challenge Ayron begins to fully pay attention. “What is a box without hinges, key, or lid- yet golden treasure inside is hid?” He thinks for a few minutes before giving up. Deciding to show him anyways I get the box from its space on the shelf and open it “A jewelry box.” I tell him and at the answer he hits himself in the head lightly, muttering to himself that he should have gotten that. I allow him to look, but not touch, the artifacts that remain in the little box before closing it and returning it to its proper place. He will get to interact with the artifacts eventually, but at the moment he still has much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment