Support me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 13: So Early In The Morning (Issy)

 Prompt: It may be the part of a friend to rebuke a friends folly

Taking a shortcut through the sewers will always be a bad idea, no matter how much Baurus enjoys wandering around down here. Sure, they do provide one with access to areas not otherwise easily accessible, and allow one to travel more or less unseen. Who else is down here except for vampires, the occasional zombie or goblin, a Blades agent here and there such as Baurus, and secretive cultists? “It seems like I’m what counts for who else is down here…” I mutter to myself as I trudge through the muck and sewage. I’m just glad I wore boots that come up high enough to not get the rest of my clothes dirty beyond repair. Cutting through the overgrown vines and moss that have somehow managed to grow down here along with a zombie or two I eventually make my way to where I need to be. The ladder that leads to the surface is in sight to where I’m supposed to meet Lucien as he apparently has a rather important job for me. What it is exactly I don’t know, only that it isn’t a contract. Climbing the strangely slimy metal ladder I go to push the covering to the surface but find it moves on its own, or seemingly on its own, before I can do so. A rush of fresh air and early morning sunlight come in from above before being eclipsed by a shadow. Looking up to see what it is thats causing the shadow, and hoping it isn’t a member of the guard I find Lucien, predictably grinning like a bit of a mad man. “I beat you.” He says with a smile that shows he is all too proud of himself for that feat. “Yeah yeah whatever, just give me a hand why don’t you.” Is all I have to say in reply. “I can see you’re slowly turning into Baurus given your affinity for traveling via sewer.” Lucien says once I’m pulled out of the sewer, like he doesn’t regularly travel through them himself. I go to say something but decide not to waste the breath, it’s barely six in the morning and it has already been too long of a day. “It may be the part of a friend to rebuke a friend's folly.” I’m told regarding my rather foolish decision before Lucien adds “But I won’t, it's too early for that.” and begins walking away from the small courtyard toward the street. “Come on!” He calls, stopping at the exit of the courtyard, gesturing to follow. I have a feeling it is going to be a very long day…  

No comments:

Post a Comment