Support me on Ko-Fi!

Monday, February 19, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 19: Out Of Thought And Time (Lucien)

A/N: I was hoping this section would be a prompt, it is one of my favorites and I thoroughly intend to come back to it at a later point once I have more time to explore it further. The experiences of those who inhabit a spectral or ancestral form and what they do when not summoned intrigues me greatly.

 Prompt: Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

Being violently cast out of life before being thrown back into the world even more so can leave one rattled, at the very least. I do not remember very much of the waving hours of my time among the living aside from being unbearably cold and perhaps to most unreasonably calm in the face of it all. Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell until I found myself once again in familiar surroundings. I do not fear life after death, in some ways it is a strange blessing. To come once again at the turn of the tide when unlikely allies and sinister enemies are around every corner and lurk in every crevice from here to the west and beyond. Death has taken its toll on all and I debate telling the others of my wanderings, though in the end decide not. They will make their own journey one day, except for perhaps a few who must remain endlessly among the living. Stars wheel overhead as I sit with my thoughts in the darkness, the world of the living slumbers quietly while the dead grow restless in the small hours of the morning. It is easy to stray like this, and to wander along the secret paths accessible only to the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment