Support me on Ko-Fi!

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Flash Fiction February 2024 Day 27: Tomorrow Is Unknown (Fyr)

 A/N: Getting this one done bright and early for the day as I have yet to go to sleep in order to knock it out. These next couple of days as we finish up the month will be very busy especially tomorrow as I've got some doctors appointments to go to but still I am hoping to find the time to finish up this years prompt list. I have really enjoyed the prompts this year even if the works are significantly shorter and very much flash to micro fic length, and I hope you have enjoyed them too!

Prompt: Yet do not cast all hope away. Tomorrow is unknown

In dark times such as these I find there is still hope even if it is elusive. Valan had come to me at the urging of his mentor and friend of mine, the Imperial Spymaster for Morrowind, a man named Caius Cosades. It was a good thing the old man did too given Valan had managed to get infected with The Divine Disease and by the time of his arrival had already begun to deteriorate health-wise, and quickly too. Luckily for him I have spent centuries researching Corprus and while I have yet to find a particular cure for the disease I am able to at least for now provide some sort of comfort and treatment of symptoms, though perhaps he is the perfect candidate to test my potential cure of sorts. Late one night I decide to broach the idea and in a moment of clarity in-between fits of delirium he agrees to test the potion. After all, the options he has before him are the unknown effects of the potion, or a lifetime of misery before an unfortunate and painful end. Things look grim, I tell him at one point while preparing the last ingredients, and it is true that things in fact are quite such a way. Yet do not cast all hope away. Tomorrow is unknown, and that in and of itself is one of the many gifts of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment