Support me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Pine Trees (Sarah)

Mini Fic Prompt: Pine Trees

Bosmer are known for having a strong and in some ways spiritual connection to the trees. Coming from my native Valanwood to Summerset I was surprised at the amount of open space that exists, even within the cities. A majority of Valanwood is dense forest such as the part I come from, or sprawling jungle so vast entire armies have gotten lost within it. The trees are in a way one of our best natural defenses, as they make creating roads a challenge, and provide easy hiding places for archers. Many of the trees in Alinor are much younger, and significantly smaller, than the ones I grew up around. On a walk one afternoon with nothing better to do I find a small park with a number of pine trees scattered throughout. I may as well spend some time here. It is so rare I get time to relax these days that a day off is a welcome change. With my satchel slung over one shoulder and my bow across my back I find one of the pine trees that seems sturdy enough to hold my weight and begin to climb. One far enough up that my presence will go unnoticed by those wandering the paths and having found a comfortable branch to sit on I pull out my book. When stressed I find myself seeking out two things primarily, the first being nature, and the second being literature. Both are calming and provide easy ways to escape from the stress of everyday life. Getting lost in my book I find myself staying there for hours until I’m drawn back to reality as the fading sun causes the street lamps to flicker on, and I notice Phillip slowly walking along the path coming my way. Thinking of some way to get his attention I carefully pull out an arrow and a piece of paper, scrawling a note that says “look up.” and tie it to the arrow before carefully shooting it into the ground by Phillips feet. Shocked at nearly being hit by the flying arrow he unties the paper from it and reads it before looking around up at the trees. I wave to him until he notices me and begins to walk over. With his attention grabbed I begin to climb down and meet him at the bottom, taking back my arrow from the still slightly disgruntled and tired professor before joining him for the rest of his walk home. Once that’s done I head home myself, taking an alternative route to my usual one. I think I need just a bit more time alone among the trees before I return to the chaos of daily city life.

No comments:

Post a Comment