Flash Fiction February 2026 Prompt: Promise (a truth or secret comes out at the worst possible moment)
“Huh, looks like someone’s been digging.” Farkas holds up a shovel that lays on a stone slab alongside other tools including a pickaxe and some unlit torches. Well that’s certainly odd. Why would somebody be digging for something in an old cairn? “Remind me what it is we’re doing here again?” I ask as we cautiously continue from the cairns entrance further into the initial dimly lit chamber. “You mean what you’re supposed to be doing here. Looking for that stolen shard. I’m just here to watch, and make sure you don’t get killed.” Right. It’s a test. I hate tests. “Well those are certainly comforting words, thanks for the vote of confidence!” I say sarcastically before continuing to trudge along. Why did I get involved in this in the first place? Sure I need money, and the people are nice, but really was this my best option? Things to ponder later assuming we make it out of here in one piece. Entering into a larger room I notice a lever over in an alcove and go to pull it which ends up being a mistake as immediately after a gate comes down trapping me inside. “And this is why we have somebody come along. Hang on a minute I’ll go find the other one. Don’t go anywhere.” Ha ha ha very funny I certainly won’t be. A moment later something very strange occurs and a group of people come rushing through the now opened other door and surround Farkas who seems more mildly annoyed than anything else. I can’t tell if they’re bandits or who they are and the bits of conversation are difficult to hear. I overhear the one who seems to be the leader say something about armor, which seems to be some kind of identifier, and that means Farkas must die. Farkas on the other hand tells them it will be them who die before suddenly transforming into some kind of large beast and decimating the entire group before running off through the door, I think to finish the last one or two who had fled. He returns a moment later after pulling the second level freeing me from the alcove. “Sorry if I scared you…” he says sheepishly, staring at the stone floor. “Scared? That was awesome! Gruesome, yes, but awesome!” He looks at me then, almost slightly confused at that reaction. “Oh and promise you won’t tell anyone about that.” He adds quickly. “So are all of you guys werewolves or is that just a you problem?” I ask as we go sit for a few minutes. “Only the Circle, which is why you can’t tell anybody. The rest don’t know.” I nod “Got it. Your secret is safe with me!” He laughs then sighs deeply “Ah Skjor is going to kill me for this if he finds out…” quickly adding “not really, but he’ll be mad.” All the more reason to keep my mouth shut. “I have a feeling he doesn’t like me all that much.” I admit to which Farkas responds that Skjor doesn’t really like anybody all that much. The fact they even decided to give me this test is a sign of respect. “Speaking of tests, we should keep going before it gets too late. Come on, on your feet. Don’t step on the dead guy.” Farkas gives me a hand getting up and points towards the doorway. Onwards we go I suppose. Time to fight more undead and werewolf hunters…not how I expected today to go at all.
Exploring Disability and Mental Illness through Personal Experience and Creative Writing
Support me on Ko-Fi!
Sunday, February 22, 2026
Flash Fiction February 2026 Day Twenty Two: Promise? (Anna)
Labels:
TES
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment