Support me on Ko-Fi!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Photograph (Everan)

Really sad dark plot twist ahead. We haven't been introduced to all of Everans family.


I sit on my bed reading the letter from my mother, the carefully written words and vague address as not to disclose my location to my dad. It was sent in a package along with a locket and a small picture encased in slightly tarnished silver. I had forgotten about these things, pushed every thought of it away, but I remember. I remember everything.

Dear Everan, the letter reads.

I was going through some old boxes downstairs, and hidden away in a corner of a chest I found these. The locket was originally yours and was given to us on your name day. But it somehow found its way downstairs. As for the frame, inside is an old picture. A family picture, that's all I'll say for now.

Sincerely,
Elsie Thenath.

“A family picture?” I think to myself, then the thought dawns on me, this is an old picture. A very old picture.  No, I can't open it. But my finger slips, and pushes the button. The casing springs open, showing an old picture of my family, my entire family. I clamp a hand over my mouth to stifle the gasp.

I hear the clatter of keys in a door and the door to my apartment opens. Boots being kicked off and clatter hitting a chair. Phillip walks into view then. He's still wearing his coat, with the enchanters emblem embroidered into the left breast. His hair still with remnants of the snow that was falling outside the window and piling up on the sidewalks. He shrugs off the coat and throws it over a chair by the kitchen table. “What's that?” He asks standing in the doorway pointing at the picture in my hand. He comes and sits next to me on the bed, “what's wrong Ev? You look sad.” He says with a voice barely above a whisper. “Nothing's wrong Phillip.” I say, but it's rather obvious that's not the case. “Who is that?” He points to the little elven girl with brown pigtails and a brown and green dress. Standing in front of my mother with a big grin on her face “That's my sister. Leah.” I whisper looking at the picture. “I didn't know that you have a sister!” I correct him “I had a sister. I don't have a sister anymore. I haven't for a long time Phil.” His expression changes and he moves closer to me, his pupils dialate “Wha-What happened to her?” I take a breath before delivering the blow “she's dead Phillip. She died when I was a teenager. She was 4 years old.” His jaw drops “how? Did she have scarlet fever? Was she really sick? Was she in an accident? How'd she die?!” Oh gods I really hoped he wouldn't ask that. “She was murdered.” I choke out before I start crying. Phillip hugs me tightly “I'm sorry. I'm sorry I asked, I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.” I hug him back “you don't need to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong.” Phillip smiles at the reassurance, then takes the picture from my hand and looks at it “You said she was murdered?” I nod “Kidnapped one night by a necromancer and his partner. She was found 5 days later in an alleyway, pale ,cut and bloody, and stone cold. She's been unwillingly used in various experiments. After that I couldn't bring myself to use any magic for, oh must have been at least a year or two. It was terrible Phillip, the body, the scene, the fact that they'd do such things to a four year old!” Phillip looks more at the picture “she looks kind of like my sister.” He whispers. “I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to Ainsley. That's horrible.” He closes the encasement and places it on the table. Leah haunts my dreams that night, and many more after that.

After their conversation Phillip tackles him and cuddles him affectionately to try and cheer him up.

Aaaaaaaaaa

Until next time,
Max



4 comments:

  1. Sneak Peek: It will take them a while to take to the feel of it, but that's an issue across the board for Mindcrack's bands in general. It's all about the right bubble in the right column nowadays. The more academic direction this school is taking might boost our rank, but it's going to strip our students and teachers of their essence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I'm excited to see the rest!

      As for Art stuff I've fallen a bit behind, but I'll see if I can do any today/this week.

      Happy Halloween!

      Delete
    2. It's up for you to check out.

      Delete
    3. Yay!

      I'm working on a kiddie AU where Krem, Sera, Merrill and Ali go trick or treating accompanied by Morrigan, Isabela and Bull. it's really cute and pretty funny

      Delete