Support me on Ko-Fi!

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Trick or treat (Alarian)

A few days late cute Halloween fic.

Kiddie Sera, Krem, Merrill and Ali go trick or treating accompanied by Morrigan, Isabela and Bull. Hilarity ensures.

“TRICK OR TREAT!” Merrill yells. Isabela clamps a hand over her mouth “don't yell.” She whispers. “Why won't they open the door?” Sera asks to no one in particular. I shrug, who knows. Maybe they're not home? After a few seconds the door opens and an older man holds out a bowl, we eagerly grab a hand full and place it in our bags before thanking him and going on our way. “Hey bull, did you ever go trick- or- treating?” Krem asks as we walk. “No not really. Under the Qun rules were really strict. You were assigned a job and expected to do it.” He explains. Sera runs ahead and waves for us to hurry up. She's dressed as an archer, and even though she's only a few years older than me she towers over me. And Krem next to Bull looks tiny! Merrill is tall for an elf, and is only two years older than me and is walking with Isabela, Merrill doesn't really like loud places and she trips over herself sometimes, but she's nice and I like her. Plus she likes cats a lot, that's why Bella’s nickname for her is Kitten, or Daisy because she likes to make flower crowns. One time she made me one out of these pretty blue petaled flowers and it was cool! I walk with Morrigan, who's dressed like what she is, a witch. I'm wearing some mage robes that Wynne found that are a little big and drag at my feet but other than that fit. We eventually meet up with Sera who mumbles “you guys are a bunch of slow pokes. A nug can run faster than you.” Merrill goes up to her and pokes her in the stomach “poke.” She giggles, Sera looks at Bull who smirks “Daisy gotcha there kid.” Krem runs up the another house and we follow shortly, he rings the doorbell and a boy with orange hair and a checked best and jerkin answers the door, signals one second and comes back tugging a Mage looking man of seemingly tevene origin. “Hey DORIAN!!!” Sera runs up to the door “who’re you?” She asks the red haired boy. “That's Grim. He don't talk much. But he can sign, like this.” Krem signs “hi” and Grim signs back. Sera’s jaw drops “that's. So. Cool!” Bull and Dorian exchange glances. “How are the rest of the Chargers?” He asks. Dorian shrugs “okay I guess...if you count running around and I needed to lock the knife drawer from Stitches because your aspiring Doctor attempted to perform surgery on Dalish’s Halla. So you should probably check in on them. Grim on the other hand has been great the whole night. Helping me with trick or treaters.” Grim comes back with three cards “Trick or treat.” The cards say. “Tri-O- tre-t!” Grim exclaims flapping his hands and then running off and coming back with a cardboard box covering him. He roars and Bull laughs. Dorian sighs “he wanted to be a monster who lives in a box. And likes orange tissue paper and scribbles.” Noting the tissue paper stuck to the box and multi colored drawings all over it. “Well that's a very scary costume Grim! High five buddy.” Bull puts out his hand and Grim high fives him. Bull walks into the house with Krem following after him “Chargers what’re you up too? Stitches, no knives. Dalish put your teddy upstairs and Rocky get out from under the table! Skinner… Skinner! Yes okay you- you can go out with Dalish and the others in a little while...No you can't bring a real sword.” Bull comes back out carrying Krem under his arm. “Hi guys.” He says with a wave. Bull speaks with Dorian for a few more minutes. I whisper to Morrigan “ok I'm kinda glad I'm the only kid in our company.” She nods “as am I. Keeps everybody that much more sane. Though we’re still our own piece of crazy to various degrees.” I laugh at that “whatcha mean?” She shrugs “I'll tell you later come on, we’re going.” We say goodbye to Dorian and then Grim comes trodding after swapping the box instead for a white sheet with the same tissue paper and scribbles and on it says “Grim the Ghost.” In his hand he carries his speech cards and his other hand Bull grips tightly so he doesn't wander off. In bulls other arm is Krem who didn't want to walk. We go around a few more houses in the area before Isabela checks her watch and notices it's rather late, already 9:00! ...That's probably why I'm tired. I tap Morrigan “I'm tired.” She nods “me too kid. You wanna go home?” We walk back towards Dorians and Krem rings the bell again, but an Obscene number of times. “Fasta vass!” He exclaims as he opens the door, long night I guess. Krem and I cover our mouths “Oooooo, Dori said a bad word Bull.” Krem tells him. Dorian glares at him a motion inside the house. “Bye Ali! Bye Merrill! Bye Sera!” Krem waves goodbye and rushes into the house. Bull says goodnight and walks with Grim into the house, but Grim stops and waves “Bye-bye!” He says softly before going into the house and closing the door. Merrill and Isabela then say goodnight and head back to their own home on Amell street next door to Hawke and Fenris and Hawkes siblings, the twins Bethany and Carver. Merrill would have had to live in one of the orphanages in the alienage if it hadn't been for Isabela. The Alienages aren't nice places, they're slums where the elves have to live. I never lived in one though because I lived in The Circle. We eventually get back to where we live. 941 Dragon road, cool name isn't it? Yes it is, you know it is. I kick open the door and walk into the kitchen placing the bag on the table. Zevran looks up from his book “Back so soon?” He says sarcasticaly. “Hahaha very funny.” Morrigan says flatly from the door and picks me up to bring me upstairs. Morrigan helps me get undressed and changed into my pj’s then Leliana comes and tucks me in. She sits on the edge of the bed as I tell her about the events of the night. “And and- and then Sera ran up to Dorian and just yelled HI DORIAN!!!! And then Grim ran away and then he came back wearing a box...Hey Leli, why can'ts Grim talk?” Leliana looks at me, seeming as if she didn't expect that. “Umm...Well Grim can talk, he usually doesn't but he has other forms of communication. Like he signs and uses card to say what he wants.” I sit up and cross my legs “Okay, but...why?” “So Grim has something called Autism. This means he sometimes has trouble with expressing things, and he can be reluctant to changes in routine, and he flaps his hands sometimes when he's happy.” Ohhh so that's why he does that. Leliana continues “Your on the Autism Spectrum too, but Grime more on this end over here, and your more over here.” She makes a line with her hands and puts them on opposite ends, marking the difference in presentation and severity of symptoms. “Get it?” I nod, she smiles “Good. Now you my friend need to go to sleep.” She gets up and pulls up the blanket so it reaches from end to end, turns out the light and as she closes the door whispers “goodnight Ali. Happy Halloween.” She's right, it was a happy Halloween.

Dorky cuteness because I can.

Until next time,
Max

2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest thing I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think it's the cutest thing I've ever written. I put in a few references in it too, like Amell street is a reference to Hawkes mothers family, the amells. And 941 dragon road is a reference to the year of Dragon Age Origins, 9:41 Dragon. I did a few little doodles for this too, which I'll post later.

      Delete