Support me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, April 30, 2022

Painting and Picnics (Yuuri)

 The technically third to last prompt as I've got two other prompts that I need to finish for this April writing challenge that will be posted at a later date. Happy last day of April for once it's not awful weather here today (though it will thunderstorm later) and that had me in the mood for a bit of nice weather related short form fluff.


If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s to always cover any surface while painting, and paints mixed with honey are a watercolorist's best friend. Sitting down at my desk I first cover the area with a spare piece of newsprint, after all it’s easy to find and thicker than the alternative rice paper. Paints are stored in another drawer and my current work in progress sits in the spot I left it to try near the window. All that’s left is a quick trip down the hall to fill a jar with water and to continue where I left off. Painting is a hobby I’ve done for years, a good way to destress from the exhausting nature of work, and something that can be done practically anywhere- though I prefer the quiet solitude of being locked away in my study without anyone to disturb me. Unfortunately for me today someone is rather intent on doing exactly that as I hear sound coming from across the room near the window and out of the corner of my eye see a rustling in the bushes outside. For now I ignore it, and it’s not until I look up again to find the window open and Kit halfway in the process of climbing in do I stop what I was doing. “Really? You couldn’t have gone in the front door?” He gives me a grin “No, because then you wouldn’t let me in here.” That’s true, the door to the study is locked from the inside, but I’m sure he’d find a way to pick it, he’s done it before after all, the little menace. Landing nearly silently he stands up straight and stretches for a minute. “Why do you lock yourself in here anyways, it’s nice outside.” He tells me, coming over and looking over my shoulder at my work in progress. “Because it’s my one day of free time and I’m able to do what I want with it.” I reply dipping the brush in water again and continuing to paint, hoping he’ll get the idea and leave me be, even if he stays in the room. Thankfully he does, and resigns himself to wandering around the little office rambling about all kinds of topics until I’m finished. After some clean up and leaving things to dry I stand up, it’s around lunchtime by now, a bit after perhaps, and he was right about the weather. Today seems like a nice day for a picnic, and that’s exactly what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment