Support me on Ko-Fi!

Saturday, April 30, 2022

In The Forests Of Falkreath (Anna)

 Today's prompt was forest and I was a bit lost on what to do for it until I remembered Hircine's quest with Sinding and how boring and depressing Falkreath really is. It was either werewolves or Barbas but the best Daedric doggo is being saved for a longer fic instead of a half a quest mini fic written at midnight.


“Remind me why we have to go to Falkreath again?” Farkas asks after catching up to me, having stopped to examine something earlier while I’d continued along the road. “To be honest…I don’t really know, but I got a letter from the Jarl to pay him a visit, and currently have nothing better to do.” That’s not really true I suppose, as I do need to go to Bleak Falls Barrow and retrieve that dragonstone, but I don’t really want to do that right now. Falkreath is nearby, anyways, and I’ve still yet to visit the place. “What’s Falkreath like?” I ask as the two of us walk along the main road that goes along the route of the lake before turning inwards. “Boring.” is the only answer I get on the matter, with a mutter of something else that’s too quiet to hear. Oh well, I’ll just have to judge it for myself. The city, if one can call it that, is located in an area of dense forest compared to the open tundra that's ever so slightly further west. The blacksmith mentions he’s been looking for his dog as we enter Falkreath and I make a mental note to look for it. But the main reason we’re here lies just up ahead, with a large wooden building where the Jarl lives. Once inside it’s noticeable quite quickly that in comparison to other officials I’ve met, this one is far younger, perhaps thirty or so, and attended by the steward, as well as an older man who I learn was the former Jarl before stepping down rather recently. Introductions are fairly standard, and it turns out I already happened to have something he wanted me to fetch, which earns a small reward and that’s always a good thing. After being waived off as there are more important matters to attend to we decide to wander around for a bit, but find something quite unexpected. A man stands near a farm obviously upset, and upon questioning explains his daughter was recently killed by a man named Sinding who apparently is a werewolf. I’ve never heard of werewolves murdering children, and neither has Farkas, who in the scheme of things is the expert here though he doesn’t tell the man. “Time to go pay a visit to the jail?” Hmmm, I suppose that’s the most logical course of action, and so we do, stopping on the way to visit the local alchemist and leaving significantly more disturbed than we were when entering the establishment. With a bit of careful persuasion the guards allow us to visit the incarcerated murderer who explains his story, it seems that his situation is much for curse like than that of The Circle, and he gives a ring to me, before escaping much to the commotion of the guards. “What the hell just happened” I say to myself, looking between the ring in my hand and the now empty cell before the guards push me out of the way. Luckily, Farkas catches me before I fall, as usual, and helps me back to my feet. “Well…that’s not good.” a guard says, standing in the empty jail cell looking toward the ceiling. A good note for the future; don’t put the werewolf in a cell that has an open grate or skylight. Having concluded that neither of us were involved though the guards let the two of us go, now it’s just a matter of following Sindings instructions, and out into the forest we go. I suppose it’s true, then, bears, beasts, and other fouler things do dwell in the dark forests of the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment